AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've finally got my DIY screen and masking system working, I've been going through all my 2.35:1 titles and watching the good parts with a dumbfounded smile. I've got the original release for CTHD, and unfortunately the subtitles drop below the frame and into my masking. I'd love to watch this movie properly masked with subtitles, so I have to ask: does the SuperBit version have the same issue?

(Side note -- since I'm playing this on an HTPC, it seems to me like a great future feature for a software player: the ability to adjust the location of the subtitle overlays to prevent this from happening, even on titles that insist on dropping them below the frame.)

Aaron

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'd been thinking the same thing, about the software players and subtitle placement :) I suffered from the same thing with CTHD - i like to watch it with the original language, but having the subtitles off of the screen is not very helpfull...

I noticed that with the Episode 1 DVD, the subtitles for the alien dialogue (Watto, Jabba) were inside the frame, and i liked that a lot with my 2.35:1 screen :)

Gertjan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This is the very reason why I chose not to use a 2.35:1 screen, but instead opted for a 16:9 screen with horizontal masking.

BTW, here's a question I posed last month in a similar thread but got no replies at all.

Quote:
I have a question for the 2.35:1 screen owners. How do you watch DVD movies that have DVD player generated subtitles (eg. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) without losing the subtitles that are generated half on the image and the other half in the black bar area? Is their a way to move the subtitles to a different location?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi DMan,

It's one of those little things i forgot to consider when choosing my screen :) BUT most of the movies i watch are in English anyway, so it's not a very big problem.

I'll have to try PowerDVD player again with it's "2.35:1 Pan&Scan" option. Because it zooms the picture to fill the entire 2.35:1 screen. And if they were smart enough when they coded this application, they just might've made it so that the subtitles get generated on the bottom of the screen...

Worst case i can just "unzoom" 2.35:1 movies that have subtitles in the black bars. Since it's just a very small percentage of the movies that i would have to do this with, i think i could live with it, especially since it means that for all the other 2.35:1 movies i -still- get the 10.5' wide picture :D

Gertjan

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're using a HTPC, there is a time-consuming and kind of ugly fix. You can rip the subtitles off the DVD, create a timed script in the suitable format, and view using the DVD-Subber player. It allows you to specify the position of the overlayed subtitles and has aspect ratio controls, based on the YXY code, built in.

DVD-Subber is usually used to display translated subtitles over foreign language films without subs (anime mostly), but could be used for this purpose as well.

---

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes, the Superbit CTHD still has subtitles below the frame. On two line subtitles, the first line is within the frame but the second line is underneath. On one line subtitles, the single line is also underneath the frame.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
What would be terrific is if they gave us the option of TWO subtitle tracks. One for normal TV's and Joe Six Pack (like with the current CTHD and other titles) and one like PHANTOM MENACE, with a smaller, cleaner font IN the frame, so that widescreen TV and Projector owners would be best served.

But that's a pipe dream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.