AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Samsung SIR T151 and a Channel Master Advantage 3019 with a preamp and a rotor mounted on top of a two story roof. I was wondering if anyone noticed substantial improvement in reception by upgrading their set top box or if any one brand is better than another. I'm always trying to think of ways to get every last channel possible! There are some channels that are near me that I am only able to get on certain days and/or certain times of the year. Wondering if a new box would help.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Boxes do matter, at least for distant stations, or for bad multipath areas where you are blocked by hills, near water, etc.

Unfortunately your Samsung box is one of the most sensitive I know of for distant stations, and very good on multipath (much better than my old DTC100 RCA). It has had more problems with receiving stations where the station had bad PSIP data than most.

I have that tuner along with the 165 and a Zenith 420. Sometimes one box works better on a given day than the others. The Zenith did better last winter on some channels due to handling the snow reflections better. It seems to handle a larger number of reflections at once. This may or may not be helpful to you at your location.

The Zenith has mostly worked on bad PSIP stations when the Samsung's failed as well. The Samsungs still excel on my most distant station.

One other striking difference is where you have a digital on a channel that has a weak analog station. This can prevent the Samsung which receives both from switching to digital mode and you can't get the digital channel. The Zenith recieves digital only and can tune that station. But since you have the 151, you have avoided that problem.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
I thought the 151 was digital only tuner....
Sorry about that. You are correct. It is the 165 Samsung I currently use that won't switch to the digital station, and stays in analog mode.

I have corrected my post above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.