AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I wrote that to get as much traffic as possible, after all you did not pass it by. My question is What is the ultimate size screen for a Sony 1252q I'm going 16x9 due to mostly movies being watched. I see most go with 92", or 96" wide. I want to go 104" will the picture quality degrade? After all these say they can go 300" Diag. Mine will only be 120" diag. I want the biggest screen I can fit in room (dedicated theater, fixed screen) Throw distance is not a problem (room 13x16). I know some will say this belongs in "screens" forum but I want Crt answers. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a 1252 and have a 100" wide screen and I think that it looks great. I'm sure that I loose some shadow detail and its probably no where as bright as others like theres to be but I think it's fantastic. What you loose in brightness I feel that you make up for in sheer impact of size. I and my wife don't even go to the movies anymore because we much prefer the picture we get at home.

I find that your eyes will adjust to the darker picture. If we are watching a dark movie and then there is a bright scene I find myself squinting at the screen, so it must still be reasonably bright.

If you want to go for a screen thats this big you will definitely need to maximize you raster usage to get the brightest picture possible.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hi Mark,

Welcome to wonderful world of CRT..

You should get a variety of opinions about the sceen size.

When I had to decide I went with a 54 x 96" screen based in what I read here.

Now that I have some viewing experience, I fall into the smaller is better camp..I went from a 7" to 8" to 9" CRT and am glad I did not go any bigger than 96"..

Using a 1252 on a 104" wide will degrade the PQ..If you want to get some sort of feel for it you can always look at a digital PJ at a dealer and easily zoom the image from 84" up to your 104" and see if the difference matters to you.

2 other factors..

Seating distance - some will sit only 1.5 times screen width away - this is way too close for me..I like being 2X away..

Audio - don't know your plans but many speakers are placement sensitive and may need to be brought in from the side walls..so don't crowd your speakers by making your screen too wide..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John the Depot Dude
Now that I have some viewing experience, I fall into the smaller is better camp..
I fall into the opposite camp.. ;)

I think the (very minimal) compromise in PQ is outweighed by a big picture.

Just like CunnazZ said, the impact of size is immensly important to me, and unlike digital projectors, you still get a very filmlike presentation.

In fact, you can achieve practically the same PQ by pushing the contrast and brightness.

I have a friend with a 130" wide screen, and only 7" tubes!

The image was superb, but as expected, after less than 3000 hours, the tubes are starting to go.

He's faced with the possibility of replacing his PJ with a 9" one, replacing the tubes, or, his current preference, keep going till the tubes are completely worn out, and get a HD3 digital projector..

John's remark about speaker placement is very important and quite true, although you can treat the walls acoustically and then place the speakers very close to the side walls..

-Roman

p.s.

Hi, John :)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hi there Roman..:)

It comes down to what you perceive as minimal in loss of quality..everything is relative....

Adding contrast and brightness can compensate a little for the lost punch of the bigger image, but you are still taking a DVD and blowing it up in size and PQ suffers the bigger you go..same applies to ambiant light..you can have some and the picture is watchable but the quality does fall dramatically..

As for the audio side, having the speakers too far apart will kill imaging. I recently replaced my mains and had to move them closer in..and this was with room treatments already in place..I'll be adding bass traps to finish off the treatments..I do wonder how much treatments will help if the speakers are too close to the walls..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah DVD are really so low res when you blow up you really see all the flaws. I like using cartoons like Monster Inc. to demo my stuff because since there was no transfer from film they look crystal clear even blown up. But if you pump HDTV into a CRT bigger is better with no visible loss usually

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
ask the ladies if size matters..............

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John the Depot Dude
you are still taking a DVD and blowing it up in size and PQ suffers the bigger you go
From my experience, if the viewing distance is the same multiply of the screen width, you don't notice the lower resolution, yet there's still something about the bigger screen that adds to the viewing experience.

eg, watching from 12' on a 6' wide screen or watching from 18' on a 9' wide screen - you don't notice the low resolution on the bigger screen, but you still notice the screen is bigger, even from those 18' of distance..

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
you don't notice the low resolution on the bigger screen, but you still notice the screen is bigger, even from those 18' of distance..
I agree on the 2nd part but not the 1st part..

What ends up happening is that you get used to the image on the bigger screen..doesn't mean it will look better..

The next time you go to Ran's place watch a scene you are familiar with at 10' wide then move closer and watch at 8' wide..I.ve done this and at 10' the image is more washed out and you can see a lot more artifacts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ultimately it isn't the actual screen size but your relationship between the distance from the screen, and the size. John mentioned his preferred viewing distance to screen size relationship, and thus he is happy.

Obviously light output diminishes with a fixed amount of light output and an increase in the (same gain) screen size, but assuming one decides on the PJ and screen gain that will satisfy the brightness requirements for the space this issue is mute.

John's idea of going to a dealer and viewing a picture at different sizes is a very good one. Make sure you are replicating your viewing position relative to the screen when doing so, as well.

It's interesting to note that magic viewing distance calculations are usually based on when artifacts become visible. In other words, as you approach the screen, as soon as you start to see the way the picture is generated (lines, dots etc) you are to close. As you step back, the second the picture is cohesive, you can now decide on your comfort level to screen size from this point, back.

Scalars play the big role here by reducing the distance to screen before you can see artifacts, and thus play a role in just how close and big you can go. Note the resolution of the scaler, built in or external, when you do your assessment at your friendly AV dealer too. You will need the same thing to get the picture quality at the size you want.

Oh, yeah, my opinion thrown in. Go big or go to the cineplex.

Darren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.