AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Panasonic also has a dynamic "iris" in the 700. The Panny device seems to be a more crude device, more of a mechanical flap or gate than an iris. If Sony has patented the lamp iris modulation mechnism, then they have a pretty big lead!

·
Registered
467 Posts
NEC also has an iris feature on it's HT1000 and HT1100 projectors.

I think the HT1000 model was out before Sony first used it.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
But we are talking about a dynamic iris. The iris aperature is constantly changing depending on the image. Other iris units are manually set

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I wonder how the Sony iris is driven. The panny auto-iris is controlled by means of induction.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Mechanically speaking, the Panasonic flap type aperture is the most fault free. simpler is better. Much less likely to fail, all other things being equal...which they seldom are. At the point where the light is filtered into the optical pathway, the shape of the aperture is not that critical.

I seriously doubt that anyone has a patent on any iris. Film Cameras have been utilizing a dynamic iris for a very long time. What would be left over to control in terms of a patent after that, would be just about nil, and not worth pursuing or very likely to be enforceable in terms of a patent..and unlikely to be granted as a patent. Possibly some of the parameters of a given control system for a dynamic iris. and then, challenging such a patent would not be difficult either, I suspect, as the electronic/mechanical systems/subsystems utilized would be commonplace already.

Think about it for a second. Quite unlikely that there is any patent of any kind involved at all. There is very little in the way of innovation in the idea in the first place. In my opinion it has always been glaringly obvious and I came up with that one many years ago. I'm very surprised it took this long to come about.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KBK

The patent would not be for an iris, or even a lens iris. It would be for a "dynamically variable iris placed between the lamp and panels for the purpose of modulating light to the panels"

That passes the inovation test.

Note such a patent would not cover other devices or other placement ideas!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Quite unlikely that there is any patent of any kind involved at all.
You're kidding, right? In today's business world?

BB

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonHoyaFan
If Sony has patented the lamp iris modulation mechnism, then they have a pretty big lead!
doubtful its patentable as it been done many many times before.

they both do the same thing so nobody in the lead. The same effect can be done with about a dozen different mechanical devices

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B
You're kidding, right? In today's business world?

BB
If Amazon can patent one-click check-out, just about anything can be patented these days with the right patent agent working for you and the wrong person reviewing it in the USPO.

The problem is not getting the patent it is defending it. The patent office has taken the, "Sounds good to me, let the courts sort it out", mentality in issuing new patents.

The big companies don't really care, but Joe Schmo private inventor better have some financial backing if he wants to ever wants to enforce/defend his patent.

In my opinion this should be a campaigne issue, technology and the framework for it will keep the US strong.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
doubtful its patentable as it been done many many times before.

they both do the same thing so nobody in the lead. The same effect can be done with about a dozen different mechanical devices
Guys,

It is not just a moving iris. It is more than that. A lot of things have to happen to make the system work.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Would it not be akin to a camera's setting to fix the shutter speed and have it adjust the aperature depending on light? Same system, different application.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Oh I agree, it should not be patentable in and of itself, but I'd bet all the money in my pocket it is patented nonetheless.

BB

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B
Oh I agree, it should not be patentable in and of itself, but I'd bet all the money in my pocket it is patented nonetheless.

BB
An iris is proberbly already patented.

Putting an iris in front of a lamp and dynamically modulating the light is a clear utility patent.

putting a device x or y or z in front of a lamp and dynamically modulating the light is a clear utility patent.

putting an unspecified device in front of a lamp and dynamically modulating the light is iffy as a utility patent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.