AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a lot of people will argue saying it's either "1 "or" 0" as it digital but can someone explain this

I have a Panasonic DMP BD30 which is a few years old now , when I watching a movie in DTS MA and receiver is doing the decoding , if I go in the Panasonic menu and go to dialogue enhancer and turn it on the sound changes and my receiver is still showing DTS MA so that's telling me that it is still digital put the player is doing something to the "1" or "0" if you don't believe me, you should try it I thing all players have this feature

So that's telling me that sound quality is different from player to player

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Not exactly. Basic sound reproduction will be the same from player to player. But any processing will change that, and it's not necessarily the case that every player will process things exactly the same way, or that every player will offer the same features. But I'll bet most players have a "dialogue enhancer" of some sort or other, and they'll all operate pretty much the same way.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
It is not possible for Dialog Enhancer to change a bitstream output. The player would have to decode the track, do the adjustment, and re-encode it. In the case of a dts-MA track, the player would have to have a dts-MA encoder, which it clearly does not. The BD30 manual actually has a note explaining that the Dialog Enhancer only applies to the PCM output.

This is not about 1s and 0s. It's about how bitstream cannot be processed by the player, only by the device that does the decoding.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks5000 /forum/post/20763392

I know that a lot of people will argue saying it's either "1 "or" 0" as it digital but can someone explain this

I have a Panasonic DMP BD30 which is a few years old now , when I watching a movie in DTS MA and receiver is doing the decoding , if I go in the Panasonic menu and go to dialogue enhancer and turn it on the sound changes and my receiver is still showing DTS MA so that's telling me that it is still digital put the player is doing something to the "1" or "0" if you don't believe me, you should try it I thing all players have this feature

So that's telling me that sound quality is different from player to player

Sound quality and signal output are different - in addition to what BIslander has said, consider that your player will decode and output the same quality signal as any other player, but it may change the output relative to something else (such as dialog enhancement). The actual decoding doesn't change though (as in, that DTS-HD track will be the same from the disc, player to player), so the actual data going "in" isn't changing - if the player (or receiver, or speakers, or room (in reverse order, these are your largest factors on output)) act as a filter and change the sound, then you can get into differences. If you pulled your Panasonic out and replaced it with something else, it wouldn't change the sound quality, but if you lost the dialog enhancement feature (by turning it off or switching to a player that lacks it) it would change the signal being output, make sense?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.