AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I need some help with the placement of my center speaker. As you can see in the pic, my center is currently below my tv inside the tv stand. I was wondering... would it be better to place my center speaker above the tv? Does putting it inside the tv stand somehow inhibit its full performance potential (as well as the coffee table between me and the speaker)? Just wondering what would be the ideal spot. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can you put it on the shelf that the other speakers and the TV are on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20900200

Can you put it on the shelf that the other speakers and the TV are on?

I can't because then it would block the tv's ir receiver. For some reason Panasonic decided to stick it where someone would maybe want to put a center speaker.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Is an IR repeater out of the question? Or can the TV be fed an IR signal from another device that has line of sight?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20900312

Is an IR repeater out of the question? Or can the TV be fed an IR signal from another device that has line of sight?

An IR repeater is definately out of the question and i dont have any othr devices that have a line of sight.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmania79 /forum/post/20900385

An IR repeater is definately out of the question and i dont have any othr devices that have a line of sight.

You'll potentially spend as much or more on a wall-mount as an IR repeater, and if your other devices lack line-of-sight, it sounds like you need a repeater to handle them as well.

Anyways, if you put the speaker above the TV, tilt it down somewhat (so it "aims" at wherever you sit/stand/lounge/lay/whathaveyou while watching TV), and re-run any calibration routines available to you.

I'd also consider, if the speaker can stand on its "side", placing it that way, slightly to one side or the other of the IR receiver that's giving you trouble - some math says it's optimal, and it would also probably be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert /forum/post/20900406

You'll potentially spend as much or more on a wall-mount as an IR repeater, and if your other devices lack line-of-sight, it sounds like you need a repeater to handle them as well.

Anyways, if you put the speaker above the TV, tilt it down somewhat (so it "aims" at wherever you sit/stand/lounge/lay/whathaveyou while watching TV), and re-run any calibration routines available to you.

I'd also consider, if the speaker can stand on its "side", placing it that way, slightly to one side or the other of the IR receiver that's giving you trouble - some math says it's optimal, and it would also probably be the easiest solution.

Do you think though, in the speakers current location, its performance is being restrained?

·
Registered
264 Posts
honestly, given that you're running what look to be a HTIB, id just leave well enough alone, sure the center should be a little higher, and pointed at the ears of the listening position.. but given you are working with entry level equipment i dont think blowing the money on an ir repeater, or wall mount just to move the speaker up is really going to help you all that much.

i think you would be MUCH better off using that money to upgrade some of the hardware, than to be able to move stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream puff /forum/post/20901661

honestly, given that you're running what look to be a HTIB, id just leave well enough alone, sure the center should be a little higher, and pointed at the ears of the listening position.. but given you are working with entry level equipment i dont think blowing the money on an ir repeater, or wall mount just to move the speaker up is really going to help you all that much.

i think you would be MUCH better off using that money to upgrade some of the hardware, than to be able to move stuff.

So I really won't hear much of a difference at all if i move the speaker above the tv? Since this is an entry level speaker (its the definitive procenter 80), I won't get more dispersion if it's on top of the tv? If that's true, that's good to know since I've been thinking of getting a speaker stand for the top of the tv which will cost about $65 with shipping.

·
Registered
30,817 Posts
Both the present position of the center speaker and the presence of that reflective coffee table will compromise the sound. OTOH, only you can judge if that compromise is significant and I suggest you experiment with a temporary relocation of the speaker and the table. Judge for yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20902377

Both the present position of the center speaker and the presence of that reflective coffee table will compromise the sound. OTOH, only you can judge if that compromise is significant and I suggest you experiment with a temporary relocation of the speaker and the table. Judge for yourself.

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but what do you mean by the coffee table compromising the sound?

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmania79 /forum/post/20902409

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but what do you mean by the coffee table compromising the sound?

The sound will bounce off that table surface and interfere with the direct radiation from your speakers at your ear. That will create anomalies in imaging and FR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/20902414

The sound will bounce off that table surface and interfere with the direct radiation from your speakers at your ear. That will create anomalies in imaging and FR.

Ah. So if i placed the speaker above the tv, will the sound be less compromised?

·
Registered
30,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmania79 /forum/post/20902461

Ah. So if i placed the speaker above the tv, will the sound be less compromised?

Different issue. The coffee table is a problem regardless of the speaker configuration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.