AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a direct view flat screen 27" television that can handle the output of a progressive scan DVD player via component inputs

It does NOT need to handle 720P or 1080I HDTV (would push the price up too far), just handle 480P (via my dvd player)

are there any sets out there that meet my need?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont WANT hdtv on htis set....(too expensive and not needed)

all i want is a set that can do 480p

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
billmich;

any monitor you buy today that can handle progressive scan dvd will most likely have to be an HD monitor. Do your homework-- at this point HD monitors are likely to be lower in price than so-called "EDTV"s, which tend to be of older manufacture and considerably smaller market. you can probably still get a couple of the loewe models, i think the smallest they get is 30" 16:9, but they're likely to be more expensive than the samsung at circuit city. much more affects the cost of the set besides how high-tech its electronics are and how much stuff is in it. if it were that simple we'd all still be paying 700 dollars apiece for interlaced dvd players with no component or dolby digital outputs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
A couple of things:

1) The fact that a set (such as the Samsung mentioned) is "HDTV" ready doesn't necessarily mean that it has any more resolution than a similar-size set that only accepts up to 480p. Even if they did exist, there's little reason to build a set that DOESN'T take the HDTV signal since it is going to display it at the TV's native resolution anyway, in other words a whole heckuva lot less resolution than the [mostly] theoretical 1920x1080. If it makes it easier, you can consider these sets *essentially* to be "SDTV" (standard definition) sets that just happen to accept HDTV inputs.

2) The "street price" of the Samsung right now is floating around $800. At that price, for the size, you're not likely to find a monitor any cheaper, regardless of it's resolution...even if someone made a 27" VGA monitor only going to 640x480, it would probably still cost just as much to build and sell. As it is - and note that I haven't seen any actual measurements - the Samsung probably has a native resolution of 800x600 which is the resolution at which it is going to resolve any HDTV signal (letterboxed, of course).

It bears repeating over and over that HDTV-ready sets (or those with built-in tuners) don't necessarily have to display full HDTV resolution in order to quality for that moniker. All they really have to have is the capability to accept and display (at whatever resolution they support) an HDTV signal (usually 1080i with 480p included).

-Aaron

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
O/T Guys the money you spend today will be a joke of a sum in the future, when I was a teenager the movie theatre price was 75¢ to get in, now what do you pay? My first brand new car total cost was $2760, for a 1965 Ford Mustang color Signal flare Red with black interior. What is the cost of a fully equipped car today?

Don't believe me ask your father or mother if your a teenager ask your grandfather or grandmother. The price of a fully equipped Model T was $568, when Mr Ford said "you can have any color as long as it's black".

What you buy now will be a joke to what you will pay 20 years from now. When you reach my age 55 I am paying more money for a disc. A whole stack of 45 R.P.M. records used to cost $3.50 for 10 or 35¢ each. I can remember buying bigger size candy bars for a nickel, than you can at a $1 a piece.

What is too expensive for you now, it just goes up and up it's called the cost of Living. C.O.L.A.(Cost of Living Allowance)

What a history lesson your getting and it will only take a miniscule of your ISP cost to read it. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
That might be true of most commodity products, but electronic products don't follow the same rules. For example, the material cost of a car the same size as your 1965 Mustang will naturally be higher than before because it takes the same amount of metal and other materials to build it. The same goes for candy, houses, etc. Factor in the increased cost of labor over time and the costs go up and up. Building electronic devices, however, tends to cost less over time because the material cost is already relatively low and electronic components cost less and less to produce (even allowing for inflation, which is what you incorrectly refer to as "COLA"). Computers are a perfect example. An Apple computer when it was first being sold would cost in excess of $2,000. Even a really good computer can be had for less than $1,500, and a computer that performs well for most uses will cost less than $1,000.

More relevant to what we are discussing is the cost of monitors. My first color monitor had a maximum resolution of 320x200 and cost about $250. Now, I can purchase a 15" monitor with 1024x768 resolution for $80 (or even less on close-outs). Televisions have followed a similar pattern and ARE costing less as time goes by. A 27" HDTV like the Samsung will, within five years, cost less than $500...possibly even under $300.

:D

-Aaron

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Aron my disability check each year has Cost of Living ajustment is 3.2% or somewhere near that percentage. Jeesh it says it in black and white, come over here and take a look at it. BTW bring some Blueberry Champagne you can get it down at Renault winery near Atlantc City, NJ for $14.99 a bottle.

I'll go haves with you then I can sit you down in front of movie called stargate put headphones on your ears and see what you look like 45 seconds after I hit 2 remotes. What a Rush that is what the soldier in the movie says. In 1998 I said outta sight to stargate theatrical version chapter 16. I wonder if you'll be able to talk, I am used to it.

What a way to be introduced to something you have never experienced before. 45 seconds is the duration of the only shown ride to the kalium galaxy. You will be looking at the wide screen, but my 2 devices will be pouring data into your brain via low impedence headphones.

One of these days I am going to get a AVS member over here and I will demonstrate the techique. You can tell all of AVS the old bugger, really had what has been spouting about "what a rush" you just got to try it! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
A "cost of living adjustment" is an increase in payments/benefits to an individual (theoretically *based* on inflation), which has nothing to do with actual inflation and prices for items. "Inflation" is the term used to describe the gradual increase in the cost of *everything*, subject to a multitude of economic factors.

-Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.