AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Texas Instruments make all of the DLP chips or are there others?

DLP technology seems to be gaining ground very quickly and I would be willing to bet that at some point it will be the main technology used in front projectors.

I currently use an LCD and really like it but I am sure my next projector will be a DLP unit. I am hoping that DLP really takes off and brings FP to the masses that way prices will drop like a rock.

On this site there is some interesting stuff , click on 'How DLP works' and 'DLP vs LCD' , TI claims that DLP is better than LCD, DILA, CRT and even film!...
http://www.dlp.com/dlp/default.asp

Does anyone know how DLP chips are made?

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jameswjohnson/HD-150.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
Does Texas Instruments make all of the DLP chips or are there others?
To the best of my knowledge its a TI only product.

There is a lot of new technology being developed so it is too early to declare them the winner. They have a bean counter management instead of a high tech destroy the competition strategy. They could easily be knocked off by a competitor with as good or better technology and aggressive management.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
James,

As far as I know TI is the only manufacturer of DLP chips.

They have made good inroads in the presentation and HT markets and the picture quality of DLP FPTVs is very good, but I wouldn't count out LCD or LCOS technologies yet, as there are constant improvements being developed on all fronts.

-Dean.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
TI is sole source for DLP chips.

DLP has the potential to have the best HT product in the world but they are quite slow in going that route. Tha Sharp 9000 is the first step in that regard; but it is Sharp's first DLP product and it shows.

Not that the 9000 is bad it is just that it is very ineffciant. 21 lbs, a case bigger than the 10HT, hefty power consumption, 200+ Watt NSH all to get only 800 lumens and a 700:1 real world contrast ratio.

The NEC LT150 with its tiny form factor meats or beats all of these performance options with the exception of 1280 horizontal resoluution and a faster color wheel.

So personally I still think TI's DLP is an under-achiever and LCD is an over-achiever and LCOS even with JVC's efforts is a new kid on the block.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
707 Posts
The NEC LT150 when calibrated (to D65) put out approximately 350:1 contrast ratio from a 130 watt lamp. The Sharp outputs 700:1 with a 200 watt lamp. NEC efficency is 2.69/watt vs 3.5/watt for Sharp. Which projector do you think is more efficient? Regarding the size of the enclosure, does anyone really care if the projector is 21 lbs or 3lbs as neither of these projectors requires a significant amount of space in ones home theater.

The Sharp has a significantly better scaler, a zoom lens, and user adjustable gamma software. As a package the Sharp provides a better picture which one certainly expects given its price is substantially higher than the NEC.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I heard Sharp will make soon DMD chips under licensing (DMD is the name of the "chip", DLP is the name of the "technology", no?). But I never found confirmation.

And while you are talking about efficiency, the Sharp PGM-S15 and PGM-X15 have excellent numbers on paper: few watts, small, light, brightness 1100 lumen, contrast 500:1, full HDTV connectivity, DVI, etc, a lot more than the Nec LT150 for not so much more money.

Carlos

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ghibliss
The NEC LT150 when calibrated (to D65) put out approximately 350:1 contrast ratio from a 130 watt lamp. The Sharp outputs 700:1 with a 200 watt lamp. NEC efficency is 2.69/watt vs 3.5/watt for Sharp. Which projector do you think is more efficient? Regarding the size of the enclosure, does anyone really care if the projector is 21 lbs or 3lbs as neither of these projectors requires a significant amount of space in ones home theater.

The Sharp has a significantly better scaler, a zoom lens, and user adjustable gamma software. As a package the Sharp provides a better picture which one certainly expects given its price is substantially higher than the NEC.
Do you think the Sharp puts out 700:1, 800 lumens at 6,500K? More like 9000K+

So you know the Sharp uses a 250 Watt NSH. Notice the "+" on my first post?

My whole point wasn't to beat up the Sharp. They obviously put a lot of effort into the unit. My point was the Plus optical engine used by NEC and others does the job with fewer components, cost, etc. with at LEAST equivalent results other than the exceptions I mentioned above.

That was my point if I wasn't clear the first time.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I'm also not trying to beat up the Sharp z9000, but apparently it only puts out 471 Lumens at a proper color temperature, not 800.

-- Cain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.