AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the 34XBR2 receives a progressive signal, do the zoom modes still work when viewing this as a source? I know that the DRC modes are locked out when receiving a hi-def or progressive signal, but I don't know about this particular area. I remember this being an issue on the older KW-34HD1 models. Furthermore, I do own this set, but I am currently hundreds of miles away from it so I can't check this out. FYI, the reason that I am asking is that I am buying a progressive scan DVD player (Denon 4800) upon my return in December and I would like to be able to watch non-anamorphic DVDs scaled up appropriately to fill the screen using the set's internal scaler, as opposed to the Denon one.

·
Registered
936 Posts
No, I don't think it does. Anything above 480i has the aspect mode locked. At least, that has been my experience.

Also, re progessive DVD, I had to disable the progressive output on my new Philips because the Sony would drop the picture periodically; with standard DVD output, there's been no problem.

- Tony

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sdsalsero
I had to disable the progressive output on my new Philips because the Sony would drop the picture periodically; with standard DVD output, there's been no problem.

- Tony
I've noticed that the Sony sometimes intermittently changes the size of the picture (back and forth between Zoom/Normal mode) when I’m watching a dvd when the player is set to progressive mode.

Zoom mode fills the screen except for a minor letterbox. Normal mode is a letterbox in a 4:3 section of the screen. This puts borders on all sides of the screen.

I’ve stopped this by manually setting the Sony display to zoom mode when watching a dvd.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just to correct this - the first reply to this post was incorrect - the Sony does allow you to change the aspect-ratio/zoom mode on a progressive source. This is different than my other set, a 1-year-sold Mitsubishi, which locked into "Zoom" only when it got a progressive source.

In addition to this is has some feature that automatically selects FULL mode (but does not LOCK into it!) when it receives a source it detects as 16:9 enhanced. I've never had any problems with that feature as some have reported, but it probably helps that I use a Sony-produced DVD player on this set.

But rest assured you can manually set the ratio even when the automatic switching happens.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just to clarify for future searchers, the Sony automatically switches to 16:9 on appropriate DVD material. On poorly maintained DVDs the information may be lost momentarily and the Sony switches back to 4:3. Annoying. I try to rent new DVDs without major problems. With these or new purchased DVDs I'v never had a problem.

Also there may be bars on the top and bottom of the screen depending on the sizing of the original and the transfer done. Always smaller bars than a 4:3 set watching a widescreen movie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD

I've noticed that the Sony sometimes intermittently changes the size of the picture (back and forth between Zoom/Normal mode) when I’m watching a dvd when the player is set to progressive mode.

Zoom mode fills the screen except for a minor letterbox. Normal mode is a letterbox in a 4:3 section of the screen. This puts borders on all sides of the screen.

I’ve stopped this by manually setting the Sony display to zoom mode when watching a dvd.
I also noticed this problem. I put in Final Fantasy last week and set both my Sony DVD player and KD-34XBR2 to progressive scan. The screen was flashing between two modes every couple of seconds while the movie was playing. I heard a rumor from a guy at Sony Only in Portland,OR that there might be a problem with the component input on Video Input 5. I switched it to Video Input 6 and the flashing stopped completely. I am now enjoying all my DVDs without resorting to playing the DVDs in Zoom mode. Give it a try. Let me know if you get the same results. There must be something special with Input 6 or faulty with Input 5.

·
Registered
107 Posts
tdkhodge,

Video 6 does seem to stop the problem in my short test. strange. ??

Also, when I go to the menu or something in 4:3 mode on the dvd from playing the movie, the tv goes back to normal mode, them back to zoom mode when I play the movie again. Nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been lurking for awhile and now I have finally become a member. I have learned a lot from various members about my Sony KD-34XBR2 and appreciate the information.

I would like to know how we can get to the bottom of this failure to sync issue with the KD-34XBR2.

I have experienced this problem off and on for awhile now. Yes, I had the component inputs of my DVD player connected to Video 5. It is the FIRST component video input on the TV.:)

I purchased it from Good Guys and called in a technician. He claimed that the DVD player was not compatible with the input on the TV. After I complained that that was ridiculous because of standards, he complained about poor DVDs - scratches, etc. I don't have any scratches on my DVDs! The technician finally moved the inputs to video 6. After this change, the problem didn't occur while the technician was still at the house and I haven't watched any DVDs since he left.

I would like to point out that this same technician said that it wasn't possible to adjust the geometry on direct view TVs only on RPTVs. I have the service manual for the 34XBR2 so I know this is false. I tried to show the manual to him to prove that he was incorrect but he was on his way out and refused to wait for me to get the service manual. Obviously, I don't have much confidence in him.

The problem is not consistent. It does not happen if I set my Denon DVD-2800 to interlaced mode. I bought Star Wars Episode I recently and it was unwatchable. It kept flipping back and forth between FULL and Wide Zoom. I tried changing the Wide mode to Full but this didn't help. I put it away and changed my DVD player to interlaced. Of course, the problem did not occur. After I logged a service call, I changed my DVD player back to progressive mode and watched the entire SW-Episode I with no problems. I thought that I would have to cancel the call but the problem did occur when the tech came anyway. It usually occurs at the same places on the DVDs. These are usually major scene changes or fast action sequences. In one particular DVD, it is a pan from the top of a building to the bottom. When I first got the TV, this problem only occurred if the TV was cold. If I tried to watch a DVD right after turning on the TV, it could exhibit the problem. After about 30 minutes, the problem would disappear. However, now it occurs no matter how long the TV has been on.

If someone can explain what they changed on their setup to eliminate this distracting and ridiculous "feature", please do.

Walter

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should contact Sony immediately, explain the issue, and then have them contact Good Guys (or have the GG tech call them after you get a point of contact).

I'm assuming a lot of 34XBR2 owners would be interested in the outcome.

I myself have no leverage at this moment as I'm in Biloxi and my set is in the Springs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mike 2567, could you elaborate?

On a slightly different subject. Does anyone here know where/how I can download the owners manual for the KD34XBR2? A pdf would be great. I have a unit on order and want to get familiar with it while I wait :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The service menu thing Mike is talking about is not necessary on the 34XBR2 - you can adjust the display mode (interlaced, progressive, or Cinemotion) from the normal menus and all modes allow you to change the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted anything here for awhile. I have been very busy at work and wasn't around for most of November and now Chrismas is upon us.:)

I haven't watched many DVDs since the GG technician changed the DVD input from Video 5 to Video 6. However, I have not seen the aspect change between Full and Wide Zoom on anything yet except for during the introduction to the menu which may be normal on some DVDs. However, I do not consider this to be an exhaustive test.

I have complained to Good Guys about the technician and the set and I haven't heard back from them yet. I did this on November 21st when the technician showed up at my house while I was at work for a service call that was scheduled and cancelled. I have not called Sony yet.

I will keep you posted.

On a different note, has anyone successfully reduced the red in the picture especially from DVDs? I have the service manual and have played with some settings but I have not saved them as the results were what I expected. Is it RCUT that should be reduced or increased? I find that the blues and greens are not as vivid as they should be because I have to turn down the color setting too far to make the reds appear more natural.

Thanks in advance,

Walter

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.