AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a Mitsubishi 3D DLP (checkboard) and a 3DA-1.

One of my 3D sources is my PC. It unfortunately will send a few different formats of 3D to the TV.

For all BUT checkboard, I know I can send them to the adapter and have it convert them to checkboard format.

What I am wondering is, if the video is ALREADY in checkboard format, will the 3DA-1 pass it through? If not, I will be stuck rewiring my PC whenever my 3D format changes.

Thanks,

Spektre

·
Registered
6,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht /forum/post/20766462

It will pass it just like any other 1080P/60 signal without modification (other than clipping BTB and WTW which it does with everything). I have done this without issue using Stereoscopic Player.

It doesn't clip if you send it Video level RGB (16-235). It only clips and crushes when sent a mis-matched signal, such as YCbCr at PC levels (0-255).

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht
I was under the impression that if sent RGB at PC levels it still dropped everything outside of video levels.
And that's why it crushes blacks and clips whites.

The difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit is one way to think about it. The liquid range of water is either 0-100 or 32-212 degrees, depending on which scale you are using. 32 degrees Celsius is not equal to 32 degrees Fahrenheit. They are different scales measuring the same thing.

With Video levels (16-235) 16 is black, while with PC levels (0-255) 16 is a shade of grey (0 is black).

The adapter assumes a 16-235 signal, and maps it as such even if you send it a 0-255 signal. It tries to display PC levels (0-255) as if they were Video levels.

For example, the adapter is expecting 16-235, where 16 is equal to black, so anything less than 16 is shown as black. All the shades of grey from 0-16 in the PC level signal are mapped as black and are lost. That's why the blacks are said to be "crushed". It also maps anything above 235 as white, so all the PC level whites from 236-255 are clipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.