Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having an awful time with my Series 2 Tivos, and I'm thinking about going back to replay (I had a showstopper back in the day).

According to the replaytv website, it says that wireless ethernet will be active in Q1 2003. Is it active yet?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we were all hoping for it in the next software release, but it is not sounding likely judging from some of the posts regarding that release.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does the 5xxx series support wireless thru the USB port? No, not yet.

Can you use a wireless connection with the 5xxx series? Absolutely!

As the previous post mentioned USB support was expected in a software update due Qtr 1 this year. With the bankruptcy and buyout by D&M, who knows when it will actually be made available.

That said, I have had my 5040 connected to my network wirelessly since buying it back in December. I am using a 801.11b wireless Ethernet bridge, the Linksys WET11 (others have posted that they use an SMC model as well). It just plugs into the Ethernet port on the back of the unit.

It was simple to setup and has worked flawlessly for the nightly updates and Internet Show Sharing. I can even stream a standard quality show to or from my other replay. The Ethernet bridge costs about $25 more than a USB device, but they work now. Linksys has a wireless G version, the WET54G, announced as coming soon. Hopefully the increased throughput of the G connection will allow streaming in at least medium quality.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you had problems with the WET11 locking up, or the ReplayTV not being able to connect to the network? I have a Belkin Cable/DSL wireless router which connects to my wired network and services my replaytv as well as my laptop when I'm around the house. The laptop has no problems, the WET11 periodically loses its connection to the network and I have to power cycle it. Just a day or two ago the replaytv lost its DHCP information because it couldn't talk to my DHCP server and I had to switch it to a static IP.

I've heard mention of this problem elsewhere... is there any way to fix it???

·
Registered
240 Posts
Maybe I have just been lucky but I have not had any problems with the WET11. I have DHCP enabled on my router for my PCs. The WET11 has a static IP and I set a static IP on the Replay. Only times I have needed to reboot the WET11 was when I updated it's firmware and when I switched out my old Linksys router for a WRT54G 801.11G router.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I guess I'm really lucky. I also have the WET11 and 2 units, and stream medium quality shows almost every day and almost flawlessly. Many have posted that they can get standard quality to stream, I don't understand why more haven't got medium quality to work like me, but I'm not complaining :). I'm quite confident the WET54G will allow many/most to also stream high quality.

EDIT: I'm wondering for those that can't stream more than standard quality, I assume you have encryption turned off right? I venture a guess that encryption may even prevent standard streaming from working but never bothered or cared to turn on encryption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.