Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xcybert
Does anyone know if the 5040 can be upgraded with a second drive?
Yes we know. :) No it can't. :( Since the hold up on the 5320 is the lack of availability of Maxtor's new 320 gb drive, my guess is the 5000 box will not support 2 drives in the future.

-Gary

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I would just add I don't really see the need for it now... with the availability of such large drives.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Does anyone know how many power connectors are in the box? If only 1 of the submini type then the answer is obvious.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Looks like only one... but that doesn't mean they aren't Y-ing it this time.

However the fact that it doesn't exactly look "drive-2-bracket-ready" does suggest only one drive from the factory, much like the Showstoppers?

·
Registered
538 Posts
If I recall, the power supply unit had silk screen connections for a second HD power cable, but no connections.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hmmm.... if the 5xxx series can only support one drive then the 4xxx series with a second drive can theoretically be expanded to twice the size as a 5xxx. That cash register sound you hear is the sound of the eBay value of the 4xxx series going up :cool:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I think that limiting units to using a single drive is a prudent choice on SB's part. There have been reports of all recordings being wiped out by problems in a two drive set-up. At the time the drives were only around 40-60GBs, so how much could one lose? Imagine losing all recordings on a dual 320GB machine? OUCH! Besides, with the networking capability the need to put all of one's eggs in a single basket is negated. Spread the risk around, you'll be better off.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Also now that Hard-drive sizes have reached a large enouch size, the need for 2 drives is greatly reduced. I am sure most people would have a hard time trying to record enough shows to fill up on 320 gb drive. Thats like one full week of recordings at medium quality.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
I am sure most people would have a hard time trying to record enough shows to fill up on 320 gb drive.
Don't be so quick...

Just as nature abhors a vacuum, the RTV Gods abhor free recording space.

Recording will increase to fill the available space, so if you increase the space you will soon manage to fill it up. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.