AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could snag a nice deal on a pair of RTi8s and a CSi5 for about $450. Some have mentioned to me that the Denon 1613 isn't powerful enough to drive those as well as surrounds for a 5.1 system. Would I need to upgrade to a more powerful receiver in order drive these effectively? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24414858

I could snag a nice deal on a pair of RTi8s and a CSi5 for about $450. Some have mentioned to me that the Denon 1613 isn't powerful enough to drive those as well as surrounds for a 5.1 system. Would I need to upgrade to a more powerful receiver in order drive these effectively? Thanks!

How loud do you plan on playing them?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24414998

How loud do you plan on playing them?

Well, the room is 12x21 with 7 foot ceilings. I tried to toy around with it a little bit with my Polk RTi4s just recently, and it seems that during some scenes of "Captain Philips", around 55-60 for volume seemed good. That was with Polk RTi4s as my mains, BIc 62 CLRS center channel, and then a Bic F12 subwoofer. I know I don't have a matching center, but I'm working on that. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415011

Well, the room is 12x21 with 7 foot ceilings. I tried to toy around with it a little bit with my Polk RTi4s just recently, and it seems that during some scenes of "Captain Philips", around 55-60 for volume seemed good. That was with Polk RTi4s as my mains, BIc 62 CLRS center channel, and then a Bic F12 subwoofer. I know I don't have a matching center, but I'm working on that. Thoughts?

You'll be able to drive them fine, but you'll have to be careful how loud you play them. Looks like your avr is 75wpc (if indeed that is an accurate measurement) so the louder you play them with an underpowered avr the better chance of clipping. Just be careful to keep the volume at a reasonable volume (at that could still be pretty darn loud) but also have an eye on upgrading the avr sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415066

You'll be able to drive them fine, but you'll have to be careful how loud you play them. Looks like your avr is 75wpc (if indeed that is an accurate measurement) so the louder you play them with an underpowered avr the better chance of clipping. Just be careful to keep the volume at a reasonable volume (at that could still be pretty darn loud) but also have an eye on upgrading the avr sometime in the future.

Thanks. Now, maybe you can answer something for me here: Yes, my AVR says 75 wpc. This is just two channels driven together, correct? Would it then be like 30-40 watts per channel if I'm doing a 5.1 setup? And, would it be an issue if I plan on running a CSi5 along with the RTi8? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415091

Thanks. Now, maybe you can answer something for me here: Yes, my AVR says 75 wpc. This is just two channels driven together, correct? Would it then be like 30-40 watts per channel if I'm doing a 5.1 setup? And, would it be an issue if I plan on running a CSi5 along with the RTi8? Thanks!!

I'm no expert, but the simple answer is that it's hard to tell. Sometimes it depends on the brand of avr and even where it is in the line of avrs of the brand as to how much it dips when going beyond 2 channels. For sure the wpc will go down, but remember that you never get all channels requiring max power at the same time, and also using a sub takes away some of the overhead from the rest of the speakers as well. My AVR is listed at 100wpc 6ohm but has no listing for 8ohm, so I suspect I'm getting approximately what you have with your Denon, and I can play my RTI8's quite loud without distortion. An AVR upgrade is first on my list however, followed closely by a new sub.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh so you have the Rti8? Can I ask how you like them and what you had before? I'm running the Rti4s as mains and trying to decide if it will be a noticeable improvement or not. What center speaker do you have?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415232

Oh so you have the Rti8? Can I ask how you like them and what you had before? I'm running the Rti4s as mains and trying to decide if it will be a noticeable improvement or not. What center speaker do you have?

I have the RTI8's as my mains, the RTI4's as surrounds, and the CSI5 as my center, and I love them all. The 8's are more detailed, more mid bass and more overall presence than the 4's, but have the same tone, so if you like the 4's you'll love the 8's. I'm not saying you wouldn't like the 4's as mains with your sub, but the 8's with your sub will really bring you in to music and movies a lot more.

I had Acoustic Research speakers before these that were from the early 80's, and I loved them and wouldn't have parted with them if my dog hadn't destroyed them. To me, the 8's are just as good so I'm really happy and will only be "upgrading" if I decide to change out the system I have in my secondary theater. If and when I do that, I may move the 8's over there and then pick up a the RTIa9's for the main theater...then again, I may just pick up some more 8's, I like them that much.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415091

The previous year's Denon 1612 was tested and found to put out 104 watts/channel with 2 channels driven into 8 ohms with 0.1% distortion. Most likely Denon didn't weaken the amplifier and your receiver would be able to do the same.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24415851

I have the RTI8's as my mains, the RTI4's as surrounds, and the CSI5 as my center, and I love them all. The 8's are more detailed, more mid bass and more overall presence than the 4's, but have the same tone, so if you like the 4's you'll love the 8's. I'm not saying you wouldn't like the 4's as mains with your sub, but the 8's with your sub will really bring you in to music and movies a lot more.

I had Acoustic Research speakers before these that were from the early 80's, and I loved them and wouldn't have parted with them if my dog hadn't destroyed them. To me, the 8's are just as good so I'm really happy and will only be "upgrading" if I decide to change out the system I have in my secondary theater. If and when I do that, I may move the 8's over there and then pick up a the RTIa9's for the main theater...then again, I may just pick up some more 8's, I like them that much.

You just convinced me to go with the RTi8s as mains rather than the 4's. I tried the 4's as mains yesterday with a few movies, and while it sounded fine, I think the 8's would give a little more volume and image to make it just that more convincing of a sound. My next debacle is going with the RTi8s for $250 and the CSi5 for $200, or go with the Cherry RTia5s and the CSia6 in Cherry. I think they look much better than the RTi8s. My logical mind is saying, "Don't you dare pass up the RTi8s and CSi5 for a total of $450" and my analytical mind is saying, "Would you regret just not paying the extra cost to get what you REALLY want?" I admit...the RTia5 and CSiA6 would probably come close to around $750. Ugh...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, my thought is that the money I would save on the RTi8 I could put towards the higher Denon 1713 which would give me a preout for an amplifier to help drive the RTi8s. Man, my mind is on overdrive...lol

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416047

Also, my thought is that the money I would save on the RTi8 I could put towards the higher Denon 1713 which would give me a preout for an amplifier to help drive the RTi8s. Man, my mind is on overdrive...lol

I think your priorities are off. You should focus on upgrading your subwoofer instead of your receiver. The BIC F12 is a good budget subwoofer for $200, but there are far, far better sounding subs for a few hundred more. Might even sound better than upgrading your mains, although you should definitely replace your mismatched center channel; that's the biggest problem you currently have, and it should make a bigger difference than going from the RTi4s to the RTi8s in sound quality.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhhh....Here I thought the 1713 would give me the option for a second amplifier. Never mind that then. My center channel isn't mismatched by the way. I have the Bic DV-64 towers and the Bic 62CLRS center channel, but I have considered changing those out for the RTi line as i already have the RTi4. I posted this on a different forum and would be curious to hear others opinions: Do you think moving from the Bics I have now to the RTi8s and CSi5 would be a lateral move in terms of quality, or do you think I would be making an actual upgrade. Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

And yes, I'm aware my sub is not the greatest. That will be my next purchase as I figure I can sell that and opt for an HSU sub.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sorry. I saw you said above you were running the RTi4s with the BIC center.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416196

Sorry. I saw you said above you were running the RTi4s with the BIC center.

No problem! Do you have a response to my question. Do you think the Polk RTi8 is a worthy upgrade from the Bic Venturi DV-64 and 62 CLRS? I paid $237 for the two towers and center channel all together, but I could get the Polk RTI8 and CSi5 all together for $440. Someone is willing to buy my Bics and Polk RTi4s for $250, so I would have to cough up $190 to get the RTi8s and CSi5.

Whatcha think?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:

The previous generation of your receiver bench tested at:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 71.5 watts

1% distortion at 79.8 watts
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-1612-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Denon was pretty accurate with their power ratings. You should have plenty of power with the Polk RTi8's and CSi5. And if you run a cross over for them you will be even better off

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416480

No problem! Do you have a response to my question. Do you think the Polk RTi8 is a worthy upgrade from the Bic Venturi DV-64 and 62 CLRS? I paid $237 for the two towers and center channel all together, but I could get the Polk RTI8 and CSi5 all together for $440. Someone is willing to buy my Bics and Polk RTi4s for $250, so I would have to cough up $190 to get the RTi8s and CSi5.

Whatcha think?

Do you think that the RTi4s have more refined SQ at moderate listening volumes than the BICs in stereo mode? If so, go for it. Although if you can get the RTi5s and the CSi5 for less, that might be the way to go with the anticipation of the subwoofer upgrade. Then you have the RTi4s for your surrounds.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416524

The previous generation of your receiver bench tested at:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 71.5 watts

1% distortion at 79.8 watts
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-1612-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Denon was pretty accurate with their power ratings. You should have plenty of power with the Polk RTi8's and CSi5. And if you run a cross over for them you will be even better off

Thanks for that information. So it's actually 71 watts with 5 channels driven at the SAME time? I've always been told it drops to like 30-40 watts if they're driven at the same time. I thought the 71 watts was only with 2 channels driven. That's where I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416599

Do you think that the RTi4s have more refined SQ at moderate listening volumes than the BICs in stereo mode? If so, go for it. Although if you can get the RTi5s and the CSi5 for less, that might be the way to go with the anticipation of the subwoofer upgrade. Then you have the RTi4s for your surrounds.

I did do a stereo test with just one single speaker where I put the speaker wire on the terminal, listen to one speaker, then take it off, and go back and forth and try to determine which sounds better. I did a blind test with my wife and she ended up liking the Polk Rti4 better. What is hard, though, is that since the Dv-64 has two woofers it's louder which throws off the test a bit. But the RTi4 does sound more refined, more clear, and less muddy.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120  /t/1520068/does-the-denon-1613-have-enough-power-to-drive-polk-rti8-and-csi5#post_24416651

But the RTi4 does sound more refined, more clear, and less muddy.

Not surprised. It's generally considered a higher model speaker line with good components.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts