AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got a nice factory new HS2000 showstopper and put a Maxtor 120 Gig HD in it. Everything went good.

I'm inclined to place the foam sheet on the harddrive and place the EZ-Bake enclosure back on the way I found it.

I'm looking at the arrangement and I have to wonder if the EZ-Bake enclosure is making the harddrive run much hotter than if I didn't use it. Especially looking at that foam sheet they have between the Harddrive and EZ-Bake enclosure; it looks like insulation.

Should I put the EZ-Bake enclosure back where I found it?

My maxtor harddrive doesnt seem to have a little hole in it that says "do not cover"

icecow

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Now, why do you think it's nicknamed "EZ-Bake"? Bake isn't short for anything else.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't get what you are saying. Is the baking somehow good? Why did they put the foam and EZ-Bake cover like that in the first place?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Methinks I should head to the nearest status bar for a stiff drink....

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bayside,

After reading your sarcasim that stiff drink is sounding good.

Blah Blah Blah I know this isn't brainsurgury, but the 'Search' option of this board is down right now, and I only get 4 results using 'ez-bake showstopper' on google. I only got a dead link, 2 duel drive upgrades, and 1 inconclusive link. It simply reads 'reattach the harddrive'.

I just want to know how to fasten the harddrive back on a single drive upgrade. I'm guessing it does matter and I should leave off the ezbake and secure the HD some other way. It never hurts to see how others have done it. Any pointers or links would be appreciated.

icecow

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
it's not officially called the ez-bake enclosure...someone on this forum named it that...you can use zip ties to secure the drive...follow the WWW link next to my name and you can see some pics

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No one is exactly sure why Replay used the foam and EZ-Bake cover, but possible reasons are:

1) Sound Insulation - Keep the noise down

2) To Protect the drive from physical damage - during shipping, storage, etc.

It is recommended to leave it off if you upgrade your drive. I use plastic zip ties to keep my drives in place.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712

I would say it's 100% noise reduction.
Totally! Some of those drives that came in the Showstoppers were insanely loud! :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Totally! Some of those drives that came in the Showstoppers were insanely loud! :)
My 2 Showstoppers had Quantum Fireball lct10 drives which were quieter than Maxtor D540X drives I am using in my PVRs. I ended up with 11 Quantum Fireball lct drives in PVRs and all were acceptable to me as far as noise. I put the EZ-Bake cover back on my Showstoppers and really can't tell any temperature difference in an open area.

Chris

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I"m tempted to put the easybake enclosure back on again and forget about it.

But instead, I think I'm going to get two 3" diameter metal bands that you can clamp tighter by turning a sloted bolt with a flathead screwdriver. You know the ones?

I see people tieing the hardrive down with plastic ties, and that looks decent, but I figure if you ever sell that unit, or upgrade a unit for a friend there might be problems two years down the road or so. I dont think the plastic ties will melt, but I do think will crumble from heat and dry air. If noone has opened the unit in two years, replacing the plastic ties is probably the furthest thing from their mind. So its kind like setting yourself(or someone) up. Especially the two-drive 'hanging' method. where the easy-bake enclosure is keenly flipped over and the second harddrive is strapped underneath. if those ties crumble that harddrive is going to drop right down on the mainboard. . Then it can slide across all those circuits untill it doesnt boot up. This will draw the attention that its time to change the ties. Thats a bad maintainence plan.

Right now I'm using the hanging method to STORE the ezbake enclosure so it's still around when I want to do a two drive upgrade.

icecow

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The best solution I have ever seen for dealing with heat in the older Replays is pu82's custom made drive bracket . It not only moves the drive away from the power supply, but it also allows you to mount a fan in the perfect location. Granted, it's expensive, but it works like a charm. In my early Replay days I lost several drives due to excessive heat. Fortunately, I haven't had any problems at all since I installed one of these brackets in each of my 3060's. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have a ReplayTV 2000 with the original drive still going strong...

Now its only used for conflicts, but it used to be used pretty heavily. We had to watch shows pretty quickly, it literally was like having a VCR (but better) with a couple of tapes.

In any case, I think they are pretty tough in general.

As for the EZ Bake...I sure didn't leave it on my SS when I upgraded the HD. That thing seems just completely wrong. Your newer drive will likely be quieter than the old one. Just use a couple of ZIP ties and you'll be fine.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
best (free) solution i've found...use the method on my web site for a 2-drive upgrade but don't actually put a 2nd drive in the lid of the ez-bake

a 92x92mm fan fits perfectly between the lip of the ez-bake and the ridge where the cables plug into the back of the showstopper

i had a couple of old 92mm fans laying around so i cut notches in the side of them and they slid in pefectly to the side of the ez-bake lid...seemed to hold them in place nicely without any tape, glue, etc

i put in two 92mm fans both blowing up out of the grill...quiet fans with almost no noise & fairly low cfm but they kept the single-drive unit running nice & cool....should have taken a few pics before my showstopper moved on to its new life with my sister & her husband

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've done 3 upgrades using that approach all worked great.

I never thought of notching the fan. I cut off a piece of the cardboard the fan came in, rolled it up an put it between the ez-bake shelf and fan to prevent it from sliding off the RCA shelf.

I cover the top holes except over the fan with electrical tape. My purpose is to force air in the sides and out the fan. (otherwise it would just go in/out the top).

For the older Replay 2000 series units, I drilled out the holes above the fan larger and drilled some holes by the power supply.

They all work great.

BTW.. I don't think zip-ties degrade much over time. I've seen many in computer rooms last a *very* long time.

Robert

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems everyone is comfortable with ties, but I chose to use a 4" diameter metal hose clamp. When the casing slides over the harddrive the casing barely clears the harddrive. So the slotted bolt used to tightend the hoseclap has to be on the side of the harddrive where it is lower then the level of the harddrive with the slotted bolt facing up. The side of the harddrive closest to the back of the unit is the better choice because there is more room to do the work without damaging anything. I bought two metal hose clamps for 74 cents each, but found that using one is more than enough to secure it.

I recommed buying two hoseclamps anyway because you can figure out how and where to make the bends on the first one then install the second one 'all-pretty'.

It might not be neccasary, but it worked good for me. If all else it gave me peace of mind because I have a phobia of using the plastic ties. I imagine the ties get dry and crumbly over time wheather they really do or not.

Wish I took pictures. I wanted to make a little tutorial, but I couldn't find my digital camera.

icecow

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heh, I replaced the drive in a 2020 lately, and I did not like the looks of the ez-bake cover either. I tossed it and realized that it was all that was making the hard drive fit securely in the holder, nothing screwed into the drive at all.

So I cut a 1/8 inch by 2 inch piece off the end of a cleaning sponge. Cut that in half to end up with two 1x1 inch thin squares of sponge and stuck them beneath the metal cover on top of the drive before screwing the cover back on. It seems to hold the drive in place well enough and it allows some air flow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.