AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked multiple times in the general HD-XA2 thread with no response. I know there are a couple of other folks with the same question. Toshiba doesn't yet have an online manual posted either, so I'm hoping an AVS memeber can help here.

Does the HD-XA2 upscale unprotected (copies or home made) SD DVDs over analog component?

I had the Denon DVD-2930CI player with the Reon it did some amazing things with SD DVD at 480p. I later got the HD-A1 and returned the Denon because the Denon would not upscale over component and my eyes wanted the greater detail offered by the HD-A1. Of course, now the HD-XA2 is getting rave reviews. I have a couple weeks to decide if I want to return the HD-A1 and get an HD-XA2. I was going to hold out for a dual format player before making a serious investment, but if the HD-XA2 is good enought with SD DVD over component there is less urgency to get a dual format player to access Blu-ray exclusive titles.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I am also wondering the same thing because I want to buy one and all we get is BS!!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata /forum/post/0

Is this conjecture or fact? I am aware that all the other Toshiba players do upscale over analog component. Is this documented anywhere?

Fact. I have done it (played a non-CSS'd standard def DVD) and seen my (connected by component video) display and the front display on the XA2 report 1080i. It only does 480p for a more common SD DVD with CSS. The XA2 now auto-senses whether a HDMI (or DVI/HDCP) connection is connected and active.

Does that help?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr /forum/post/0

Does that help?

Thanks. This is perfect. I believe this may make the HD-XA2 the only HQV based SD DVD upscaling player over component.

OK. Here is an extra-credit question. I am currently able to get the HD-A1 to upscale CSS protect DVDs over analog component. I've only heard of one other person on AVS who was able to duplicate that. The think the key factor may be that my TV does not auto-switch between 1080i and 480p. If the HD-XA2 would also allow upscaling of CSS DVDs that would be the ticket all the way. Any chance of the HD-XA2 having the same behaviour as the HD-A1? I'm afraid that the only way I can verify this is with my TV:-(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi,

I received my XA2 early today and am playing with it all day. I hooked this extremely well-built unit (at least 12 pounds) to my 60" Sony Grand Wega via Component. I also hooked my A1 to the same set via component so I could do some A & B comparisons. I'm mainly interested to see the difference between their SD DVD playback.

I am extremely happy with the SD DVD playback from my A1 and X1 machines, so much that I'd sold my Denon 3910 on ebay.

I made backup doubles of some of my favorite movies so I could do this test -- The AX2 WILL NOT upconvert protected DVDs over component, as is also the case with my A1 and X1. I varied movie types from B&W, old color movie, and a great quality transfer of a new movie.

The X2 does play these movies with better quality. The difference to the untrained eye will not prove dramatic, but to many of us nitpickers, the difference is substantial.

Skintones are a dead giveaway, as the X2 tends to get fleshtones just right. My wife also commented on how great an old B&W movie (Hell Drivers) looked. She loved the black in the dark areas, which really gives the overall image a nice punch.

I did try an A & B with Serenity (HD DVD). The X2 is incredible with HD. One must actually see this baby in action, as I feel words alone won't do the experience justice.

And so far, with a lot of jumping between scenes and such, the unit is playing flawlessly.

And load times are much quicker, this is really apparent with this type of hookup, as one remote is controlling both units.

If anyone wants me to try anything, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Videonut,

Which Sony Grand Wega do you have? I have the Sony GWIII LCD RPTV (42WE610). Just curious, have you tried connecting your A1 or XA2 to your TV via HDMI/DVI? PQ wise, how does it compare to the Component connection?

My GWIII has only the DVI port and the XA2 would only send 480p to my DVI connection even with HD DVD. I know it is a known bug and it should be fixed soon. But I am just curious as to what your experience is with the HDMI vs. Component connection.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After lots of trial and error it turns out that my TV does auto-switch between 480p and 1080i. I feel pretty stupid now. In the past, I was told that my older model TV did not auto-switch and I confirmed that between 480i and 480p. So, it appears that the HD-A1 is not breaking CSS. The scaling of the HD-A1 is ever so inferior to my TVs -- very close. This also means that the HD-XA2 should work fine for me even if it reverts to 480p for most DVDs.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I asked this also many times but a little extra extra credit is available.

I will assume but outputs are calibrated.

1. Has anyone made a "double layer" backup disc of a commercial movie for backup, not pirating , removing CSS?

2. Has anyone then played that said movie in the XA2 over component at 480P-720P-1080i and then compared the XA2's Component's 12bit 297MHZ DAC's to the HDMI digital output at the same resolutions?

3. Which one looks better and why?

4.Extra comments?

I am assuming CRT's will look better with the component and digital displays will look better with HDMI, but would love to hear actual users responses.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
1. yes -- DVDFABDecrypter then DVD Shrink to reauthor and burn.

2. 1/2 yes. My year 2002 RCA Scenium claims DVI with HDCP but will not "handshake" with either a XA1 or XA2 -- so I only use component video.

3. no answer from me.

4. Looks the best that I have seen for anything on this 34" CRT that does 1080 vertical by 910 horizontal resolution. Best colors ever. Video calibration with Studio Canal's "Total Recall" worked very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.