1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I can tell that the HT-S5300 supports the following codecs

Dolby Digital

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby EX (i am assuming this is the same as DTS-ES except its for dolby encodes rather than DTS. Please correct me if I am wrong)

DTS

DTS-HDMA

DTS Neo6 (have no idea what this is)

I would also like to confirm my assumption that Dolby EX and DTS-ES is simply the ability for 5.1 audio to be upconverted to 7.1? is this correct or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
According to page 31 of the manual, it supports DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete.

DTS Neo6 is a surround mode, somewhat similar to Dolby ProLogicIIx (although I think limited to 6.1, hence the 6 in the name.)

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek /forum/post/19647649

So far I can tell that the HT-S5300 supports the following codecs

Dolby Digital

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby EX (i am assuming this is the same as DTS-ES except its for dolby encodes rather than DTS. Please correct me if I am wrong)

DTS

DTS-HDMA

DTS Neo6 (have no idea what this is)

I would also like to confirm my assumption that Dolby EX and DTS-ES is simply the ability for 5.1 audio to be upconverted to 7.1? is this correct or am I wrong?

Thanks in advance

dolby digital -ex and dts-es are discrete 6.1 surround formats

the dts neo 6 is just like dolby pro logic but dts version which will take a non 5.1 and it 5.1

the dts -es matrix will make a 5.1 sound like 6.1 it will just matrix it in hence the name..

most is done in 5.1 , 6.1 and 7.1 are not that common but its good to know you can play them if need be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I have been unable to access the DTS-ES feature on my HT-S5300.

While cycling through the audio modes (ive attempted from DDTHD, DTSHDMA, DTS, DD, etc sources). I get options like Direct, Mono, Multi Ch Sterio, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Digital EX, Theatre-Dimensional. But no DTS-ES Discrete, Matrix or otherwise shows up.

Any ideas how to access DTS-ES on the HT-S5300?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, while im on the topic I was wondering if someone could explain the db settings for the HT-S5300.

Ive calibrated the system as best I can from sources ive found online and previous advice.

I used a 7.1 placement diagram on dolby's website to do speaker placement. I measured the distance in feet from the general seating area to all speakers. But I have noticed another menu in the on screen guide that allows you to modify dB output per speaker.

I have left the dB output from all channels at the default of 0dB. How would I find out how much these values need to be changed for ideal sound output?

Thanks so much, sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek /forum/post/19648182

also, while im on the topic I was wondering if someone could explain the db settings for the HT-S5300.

Ive calibrated the system as best I can from sources ive found online and previous advice.

I used a 7.1 placement diagram on dolby's website to do speaker placement. I measured the distance in feet from the general seating area to all speakers. But I have noticed another menu in the on screen guide that allows you to modify dB output per speaker.

I have left the dB output from all channels at the default of 0dB. How would I find out how much these values need to be changed for ideal sound output?

Thanks so much, sorry for all the questions.

ill combine both answers in here the dts-es i believe will only light up when a source that has that is played dvd or blu ray...

have you ran audyssey yet ? if you haven't it will greatly improve the sq of your system

leaving the db's for all speakers at 0 wont hurt anything but you could change them audyssey should set those for you automatically

edit looks like the 5300 dosent come with the mic so you will have to set all things manually

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek /forum/post/19648158

Thanks for the info, I have been unable to access the DTS-ES feature on my HT-S5300.

While cycling through the audio modes (ive attempted from DDTHD, DTSHDMA, DTS, DD, etc sources). I get options like Direct, Mono, Multi Ch Sterio, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Digital EX, Theatre-Dimensional. But no DTS-ES Discrete, Matrix or otherwise shows up.

I'm pretty sure you need a disc that is encoded with DTS-ES for the option to show up. I've only seen it on a handful of DVDs when I've used it.

DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX are encoded on the discs, but you can make any DD or DTS 5.1 disc into 7.1 using Dolby PrologicIIx. Even DTS discs will work with PLIIx. Assuming you're using a 7.1 layout, of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM88 /forum/post/19648231

ill combine both answers in here the dts-es i believe will only light up when a source that has that is played dvd or blu ray...

have you ran audyssey yet ? if you haven't it will greatly improve the sq of your system

leaving the db's for all speakers at 0 wont hurt anything but you could change them audyssey should set those for you automatically

edit looks like the 5300 dosent come with the mic so you will have to set all things manually

when you say running audyssey you mean just enabling it in the onscreen menu? I have done that. Should I also enable dynamic EQ and dynamic volume or just audyssey?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek /forum/post/19648477

when you say running audyssey you mean just enabling it in the onscreen menu? I have done that. Should I also enable dynamic EQ and dynamic volume or just audyssey?

on mine i use both dynamic eq and volume set to light

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I am not an audio professional. But, here's my understanding of how DTS-ES and DD-EX work:

DTS-ES Discrete is a genuine 6.1 format with six full bandwidth channels. It's the only real 6.1 format for SD audio and it was rarely used. A DTS-ES decoder plays the center surround channel in 6.1 and 7.1 layouts. In 5.1 systems, all DTS decoders downmix the rear channel into the surrounds much the same as a 5.1 soundtrack is downmixed to stereo.

DTS-ES Matrix and DD-EX are 5.1 formats with the center surround information folded into the surround channels. An ES or EX decoder extracts the center surround information and sends it to the rear speaker(s). This works the same way as Dolby Surround encoding combined with ProLogic decoding. The Dolby Surround encoder folds a real center channel and mono surround channel into the stereo mix and the ProLogic decoder pulls the two extra channels back out on playback.

Discs encoded with DTS-ES Matrix and DD-EX often have a flag in the metadata telling the receiver to engage the decoder. But, that's not required. Even if there's no flag, you can simply engage the decoder yourself. The output will be the same either way.

ES, EX, PLII, PLIIx, DTS Neo:6, and other such digital signal processors can usually be applied to any material. For example, a stereo source does not need to be encoded with Dolby Surround in order to use ProLogic decoding. The decoder can still produce center and surround channels without Surround Encoding. But, the effects are usually better when the surround design is initiated on the encoding side.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
In my experience, my receivers weren't able to apply ES or EX to anything unless the disc was encoded with them. If it was a vanilla DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 disc, only the Neo6 and PLIIx options were available (and the other Onkyo specific DSPs, but that's another discussion.)

Of course, once I got the hang of how mine worked, I just slapped PLIIx(z) to everything.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkodaZek /forum/post/19648182

The proper way to do this is with an SPL meter. Set the master volume on the receiver to 0 dB (which is very loud) and play the test tones from the receiver or from a calibration disc. Adjust the level of each individual channel until they all playback at the same volume. That's usually 75 dB. Or, you can do it by ear. You wan't the test tones to sound equally loud from each channel.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19648909

In my experience, my receivers weren't able to apply ES or EX to anything unless the disc was encoded with them. If it was a vanilla DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 disc, only the Neo6 and PLIIx options were available (and the other Onkyo specific DSPs, but that's another discussion.)

Some limitations are hardware specific. Pioneers receivers, for example, often don't permit PLIIx processing with DTS sources. I have a Denon and can apply EX and ES to any type of 5.1 input. So, I think you need to check manuals to see what your equipment supports.

Also, I believe the matrix processing in DTS-ES is the same as DTS Neo:6.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Weird. My Onkyo receivers can apply PLIIx and z to DTS (done it many times) but doesn't do ES or EX unless I find a rare disc that has them. It doesn't show up in the surround mode cycle otherwise. I'm only really familiar with that brand in terms of DSPs.

Do Pioneers have PLIIz? What do they do with DTS sources if you want to use front heights?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.