AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean by next-gen?

Next-generation is something newer. It provides experience (in case of consoles) that cannot be felt by previous generation and it should be improved significantly from previous generation.


So how does PS3 become the only next-gen console?


1. It allows you to watch full featured movies in high definition.

Yes, you can watch 1080p movies that was impossible on previous generation.

But do we really need to watch movies in hi-def? The answer is yes because humans by definition want to enhance their life, they want to live better.

Is PS3 the only way to watch movies in hi-def? No, but it is the easiest way to hi-def to an average Joe (gamers not videophiles).


2. It provides almost limitless storage for gaming.

Games will not be cut back or spanned to multiple discs by the storage size. Large storage will provide users a seamless experience. No longer do you have to switch discs in the middle of the game or buy extra contents online that should have been put in the disc in the first place.


3. Noise factor

There are moments, while playing games or watching movies, that you don't want anything to distract you or to crank up the volume in order to balance out the noise. This is where the bluray shine. The transfer-rate of a 2x bluray drive is comparable to a 12x dual-layer DVD drive but the noise of the bluray drive is almost silent whereas the dvd drive is very noisy.


So with all the benefits what are its drawbacks?


1. Price

It is a little bit expensive but it will come down. My first dvd drive cost me $500.

If the adoption rate (talking about millions of users) is high, the price will come down faster.


2. Data transfer-speed

It is comparable to other consoles but the standard hard-drive in the PS3 will make the transfer-speed of the PS3 unrivaled by its competitors.


So is it the right decision to include bluray drive in the PS3?

Definitely, the inclusion of bluray makes the PS3 significantly improved from the PS2 and from its competitors.


Does the bluray drive make the PS3 next gen?

Yes, the benefits of the bluray drive cannot be provided by its competitors.


That's my 2 cents (forgive my grammatical errors).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I don't know that Blu-Ray makes the PS3 the "only" next-gen console, but I think it might make the console seem a little more next-gen than the 360 or the Wii. Personally, I think the huge storage space as well as the hard drive will become staples within the next 3-4 years...when the original playstation came out, people didn't see how devs would use 600 megs of space for games - the funny thing is, give em the space, and devs figure out a way to use it all up.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
gimme a break all BR does is provide HD movies and developers a different route to get the same results we see in other next gen systems......fun games that look the same as other games on other systems.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
BR can hold MUCH more data than a DVD, dual layer DVD

PS3 and 360 are both next-gen in their own ways. neither is inferior. neither is superior. so before fanboys come on here bashign the PS3 or defending it, realise that each console has its strengths and weaknesses.


IMO the ps3 seems to be the most complete out of the box system
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Next gen is really just a superfluous word to describe a the next wave of more advanced system. The fact that it uses a software system that also plays back the latest high definition movies does not decide the next-gen-ness of the system.

DVD is still a very viable way to deliver the content however it could be argued that delivering HD content via downloads actually leaps over the type of software the console is able to play back.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
yes
 

· Registered
Joined
·
10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen4971 /forum/post/0


BR can hold MUCH more data than a DVD, dual layer DVD


Except that its never in a developers best interests to provide a longer game or more internal content for the same money. IF anything, in this day of Microtransactions, its in a developers best interests to provide "just enough" game to keep people from being upset with the pricetag, and then sell the content as "add ons" for an additional fee.


So the chances of a game developer using the BD disc to provide additional CONTENT are likely slim.


The only true benefit will likely be to RPG's which may contain hours upon hours of High Definition pre-rendered cutscenes, which indeed take up space. It would be good to add that Oblivion, a fantastic looking RPG in its own right, with dozens of hours of content, fits on a DVD9.

Quote:
IMO the ps3 seems to be the most complete out of the box system

Except that the 360 currently provides more content and options. It has more games, it has a more developed online environment, and it has a more mature TV/Movie download service.


The PS3 is definately a better put together machine however....the 360's, mechanically, are crap.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homy /forum/post/0


1. It allows you to watch full featured movies in high definition.

Yes, you can watch 1080p movies that was impossible on previous generation.

But do we really need to watch movies in hi-def? The answer is yes because humans by definition want to enhance their life, they want to live better.

Is PS3 the only way to watch movies in hi-def? No, but it is the easiest way to hi-def to an average Joe (gamers not videophiles).

Not if you have a TV or projector that supports 720p since the scaler is broken. What if I want to watch a movie such as Field of Dreams in 1080p? Oh wait, I can't do that on the PS3 because 1) it's not available on Blu-ray and 2) the PS3 doesn't upconvert standard DVDs.

Quote:
2. It provides almost limitless storage for gaming.

Games will not be cut back or spanned to multiple discs by the storage size. Large storage will provide users a seamless experience. No longer do you have to switch discs in the middle of the game or buy extra contents online that should have been put in the disc in the first place.

This point was answered by a previous post.

Quote:
3. Noise factor

There are moments, while playing games or watching movies, that you don't want anything to distract you or to crank up the volume in order to balance out the noise. This is where the bluray shine. The transfer-rate of a 2x bluray drive is comparable to a 12x dual-layer DVD drive but the noise of the bluray drive is almost silent whereas the dvd drive is very noisy.

When it gets warmed up, my PS3 can get just as loud as my 360.

Quote:
Does the bluray drive make the PS3 next gen?

Yes, the benefits of the bluray drive cannot be provided by its competitors.

The PS3 is no less next-generation than the 360. Key difference is that Microsoft isn't forcing consumers into a high-definition movie format at the basic purchase level.

Quote:
That's my 2 cents (forgive my grammatical errors).

I enjoy my PS3 thoroughly, especially as a Blu-ray player. However, your entire post is nothing but fanboy drivel.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku /forum/post/0


I enjoy my PS3 thoroughly, especially as a Blu-ray player. However, your entire post is nothing but fanboy drivel.

That's what I thought the moment I read the thread title in the listings.



Love all my "next-gen", now "current-gen" systems that replaced all my "last-gen" systems.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homy /forum/post/0


What does it mean by next-gen?

Next-generation is something newer. It provides experience (in case of consoles) that cannot be felt by previous generation and it should be improved significantly from previous generation.


So how does PS3 become the only next-gen console?


1. It allows you to watch full featured movies in high definition.

Yes, you can watch 1080p movies that was impossible on previous generation.

But do we really need to watch movies in hi-def? The answer is yes because humans by definition want to enhance their life, they want to live better.

Is PS3 the only way to watch movies in hi-def? No, but it is the easiest way to hi-def to an average Joe (gamers not videophiles).


2. It provides almost limitless storage for gaming.

Games will not be cut back or spanned to multiple discs by the storage size. Large storage will provide users a seamless experience. No longer do you have to switch discs in the middle of the game or buy extra contents online that should have been put in the disc in the first place.


3. Noise factor

There are moments, while playing games or watching movies, that you don't want anything to distract you or to crank up the volume in order to balance out the noise. This is where the bluray shine. The transfer-rate of a 2x bluray drive is comparable to a 12x dual-layer DVD drive but the noise of the bluray drive is almost silent whereas the dvd drive is very noisy.


So with all the benefits what are its drawbacks?


1. Price

It is a little bit expensive but it will come down. My first dvd drive cost me $500.

If the adoption rate (talking about millions of users) is high, the price will come down faster.


2. Data transfer-speed

It is comparable to other consoles but the standard hard-drive in the PS3 will make the transfer-speed of the PS3 unrivaled by its competitors.


So is it the right decision to include bluray drive in the PS3?

Definitely, the inclusion of bluray makes the PS3 significantly improved from the PS2 and from its competitors.


Does the bluray drive make the PS3 next gen?

Yes, the benefits of the bluray drive cannot be provided by its competitors.


That's my 2 cents (forgive my grammatical errors).

No
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,223 Posts
I would critisize MS decision to make the HDD optional more than I would critisize them for not including a next-gen disk drive.


I would also critisize MS for not support lossless audio in games this gen more than I would critisize them for not including a next-gen drive.


While I prefere having a next-gen drive for games, I consider no lossless audio and mandatory HDD a bigger issue. IMO of course...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly /forum/post/0


Your magical Blu-Ray drive is so next gen it's also slower at transferring data than an old last gen DVD drive, isn't that something?

How do you figure? A 2x BD drive can stream data off the disc as fast as a 12x DVD drive, and the BD drive doesn't sound like a blackhawk is landing in my room.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top