AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I have heard these speakers they sound muddy. The subs sound sloppy and loose. I was just at a local HT store and two young sales staff were in a demo room jamming to a cd using Mirage speakers. I could not believe how poor the sound was. They said the speakers where the benchmark that all other speakers were judged on. I had to giggle. They were using B&K separates with a Denon DVD/CD player.

I asked if the system was "calibrated and broken in". They said yes. They insisted all the magazines said they (Mirage) were the best speakers. I asked what about B&W Nautilus? He replied that B&W was crap. That he used to sell B&W and they are "artificial sounding". Now I know why these guys had time to play around with cds they made, they were not getting any sales because they do not know what they are talking about.

Anyway, anyone else hear the Mirages and think they sound a bit "muddy"?

·
Registered
27 Posts
FUNNY, I used to read posts saying that they were bright because of the titanium tweeter....I think that they are wonderful speakers, but you should try listening to them when they are not on a switching system, and when you can be sure of the proccesor settings .If you were relying on the set-up of 2 idiots than you probably didn't hear them at their best...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
They said the speakers where the benchmark that all other speakers were judged on. I had to giggle.
Hehehe. Tell them to go see the green-haired kid at Best Buy who thinks that Bose are the best speakers in the world.

I've heard various Mirage models and they usually sound excellent. Keep in mind that the room, its furnishings, the speaker locations, and other equipment in the room all play a very big part in what you hear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know what you're saying about their sound, they are not very articulate, almost as if they were designed to go on a receiver not seperates and especially a very full sounding B&K sound system. This would make the worst combination only making them sound darker and boomier.

The OM series is a big under achiever and at its best is only pretty good.

After Mirage stopped making the M series bipolars I have ranked them last among the 4 major Canadian manufacturers. I am really surprised that Tweeter (an Assumption of where you heard them) doesn't ride their two best sounding speaker lines Klipsch Reference and Vienna Acoustics.

I know Klipsh Reference may seem like an odd mention but the slight colorations in these speakers is a small trade off for otherwise excellent sound at a very low price.

Its funny with the discussions we have online and how difficult it is for retailers to recognize their best lines and put forth those products. The audio industry is so screwed up. It seems there only obstacles to people getting great systems not avenues. (referencing the salesmens comments and not showing you better speakers, while spiting another brand)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Audio Facist
Its funny with the discussions we have online and how difficult it is for retailers to recognize their best lines and put forth those products. The audio industry is so screwed up. It seems there only obstacles to people getting great systems not avenues. (referencing the salesmens comments and not showing you better speakers, while spiting another brand)
Well, what we consider best is not what dealers consider best. Dealers don't care what sounds good, they only care what SELLS good. In other words, their sales people are told to push the lines that have the biggest margins, not the ones that provide the best performance. And they often provide additional incentives to their sales staff to push those lines.

Bottom line is, the salesperson's job is to get you to buy what THEY want you to buy. And in my experience, they will say whatever they can get away with. The worst person to ever take advice from is someone who has a stake in your decision.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was ready to write a check for the Mirage OM5, OMC3?, etc 7.1.

My WIFE talked me into Vienna Acoustics.

Now I feel like a Dumb A$#. for even considering the MUDDY sound.

Almost boxy or boomy.

I love the VA's and her,but not necessarily in that order.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I own the Mirage BPS-400 sub. I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't have the "effortless" controlled Bass as say a servo controlled Velodyne. But for the price $1K Canadian (new). I couldn't find anything else remotely close in terms of performance for the $. It provides excellent low end extension and good SPL. I use it only for DVD movies so it more than does the job. I have a seperate setup for music which is sans sub. One of the Widescreen Reviews reference rooms have two BPS-400 so they can't be that muddy if they are using them as a reference.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good point.

The BPS400 has always been highly regarded.

It is the OM5, 9, 7 that I was referring to.

It may just be a tradeoff for the excellent soundstage that imaging ain't so great. For the $ they are good

·
Banned
178 Posts
You also have to understand that the there's really Mirage speakers fit in 2 type of categories. You either Hate them or Love them... this is because of their omnipolar design. 30% sound comes directly at you, while 70% radiates from the wall behind the speakers. For movies, the speakers are great.. but for music.. i think i would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A few words on Mirage. First, ignore their subs, I've never liked any of them. They have high SPL's but are very loose and muddy sounding. Cross over any Mirage speaker no lower than 60Hz to a capable sub and you'll hear a marked improvement in clarity. Second, if you are used to listening to direct radiating speakers, then Mirage's imaging will sound vague. This is by design, as the designer feels that holographic imaging is a by product of the recording process and not natural sounding. They are designed more with the intention of the "they are here" intent, rather than the "you are there" intent of most high end loudspeakers. To me, it's a matter of preference, as has been said, they are very love/hate. Also, they are a little warm sounding already, so pairing them with a warm amp isn't the best choice. Neutral to slightly bright amp pairings will probably work better.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
My closest friend has the old M series. He was convinced that the new OM series would be superior so we went shopping. There is no comparison. The OM's sounded more like subwoofers and muddy ones at that.

He also has an older BP210 sub that is excellent.

We also tried various recievers and finally a B&K Ref30 with B&K 200 watt 5 channel amp. He settled for the B&K seperates with the old M series. This is a perfect match. I think this is because the B&K leans toward being bright and even the older M series are very deep sounding.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kipp,

I work for the same company those morons work at. Don't listen to those guys. B&W is not crap. I, myself, own a pair of Mirage speakers and am very happy with them. I am saving for a pair of the new Vienna Acoustics aluminum line speakers though. I really don't like guys like that, especially when they work at the same company I do (makes me look bad). Let the Mirage speakers break in. Their new OM speakers sound nice eg. OM260, OM250, etc.

J

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
I know what you're saying about their sound, they are not very articulate, almost as if they were designed to go on a receiver not seperates and especially a very full sounding B&K sound system. This would make the worst combination only making them sound darker and boomier.
Well said, that is exactly what I mean.

Quote:
I work for the same company those morons work at. Don't listen to those guys. B&W is not crap.
J,

believe me, I know. I am 30 years old, I remember the days back in my teen years when bass was all what good sound was all about no matter how sloppy it was. I have learned to appreciate a good speaker. These two goofs were all about how much the room could vibrate whether it sounded good or not. At least we have hope for them as they are young and will grow up.....but then again, who says they will mature.

Speakers are alot like wine, sure you can produce a product that looks like it will do the job, but once that product hits the human sensory system whether it be taste, odor, sound or feeling (vibration), it is exposed for what it really is.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.