AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my pio plasma, I told my wife that would be it for now. LOL! Little does she know how soon "now" is. I bought a ht in a box system (Onkyo) which is amazing for the money. It will, however, be relegated to bedroom duty as soon as my new house is finished. Thus, the little devil inside of me said, why wait until the house is done?:) I began a search for a new receiver (settled on Pio Elite 45tx) and new speakers (undecided between Ascend Acoustics and Rocket ELT's). Now that the search for the receiver has ended, I figure why not start looking for a new dvd player? It NEVER ends!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'd love to join you in doing my part to boost the economy, but we just mailed our taxes today, and it was ugly:( I have a list of a half dozen must-have upgrades that I haven't mentioned to my wife yet. Still waiting for the right moment:D

-Steve

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No it never ends. My first foray into HT was like taking crack....

They need a HT upgraders ananymous forum.......

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
cheaper and doesn't last as long.:p

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Also, while HT is addictive, my understanding is that crack is more addictive.

And few HT enthusiasts feel the need to get a gun and start robbing convenience stores to fund their fix.

Seems like a more civil hobby to me. :)

mark

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
rogo,

HT is rich-man's crack...

I'd hate to calculate how much money I've already put into my HT. It's getting worse - I now have 2 new components and I'm beginning to get "wondering eye syndrome" about my plasma...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo

And few HT enthusiasts feel the need to get a gun and start robbing convenience stores to fund their fix.
I'd like to see the guy who could run down the street carrying a 61" plasma.:p

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had plenty of time to read reviews and comparison shop while waiting for my "plasma" stock to reach the magic number. Told my mate ahead of time that the plasma panel was just a monitor and that an A/V receiver, speakers, progressive DVD player, stand, and cables were part of the HT package which would add another $1500 to the price. (I don't like unpleasant surprises and neither does she.) While not top of the line, by taking advantage of online prices and sales, I was able to get decent components and come in a little under budget. Showed her how I saved over $500 compared to prices at BB or CC. That made her happy.

The one piece of equipment I didn't mention ahead of time was the universal remote. But after a week of remote hell, she didn't have any problem with spending another $120 to trade in four remotes for one!

Oops.. forgot to mention upgrading the sat receiver and installing an OTA antenna for HD reception. Not a hard sell once she found out that all of next season's episodes of Trading Spaces will be shot in HD!

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I keep thinking how great it would be to buy a Panny for one room to compliment my 433 which now resides in the other room.My whole life would be one big shootout

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
I keep thinking how great it would be to buy a Panny for one room to compliment my 433 which now resides in the other room.My whole life would be one big shootout
Sort of like matter and anti-matter coming together...

·
Registered
967 Posts
In another thread LisaJ wrote:

"On an interesting note: I just ordered my BENQ Plasma Today!!!!"

"I got a great deal ......."

"...and trying to decide what cables, and if I want to buy a new DVD player, and now I have to paint. "

"This is mind boggling..now its turned into this whole HUGE Easter project."

It seems that the Home Theater Demon has claimed another victim. So innocently they are lured into his trap. Luxurious objects at a discount price, "we all deserve a little reward don't we?" But soon the trap door opens, money flies from your bank account, and days vanish from your calender. Until the night comes when you can finally watch that HDTV live broadcast in peace. But upon turning off the plasma, you are drawn back to your computer, to check the AVS forum, just to see if you missed anything while distracted by the plasma.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Yes Ive been sucked in big time.I started with a 433cmx and in one month i had a panny xp-50,a JVC 9911u expensive svhs machine to get a better tuner and stop jittery playback of old edited VHS tapes,monster cable,2 surge protectors,new universal remote,Put the break on hd tuner because I'm going to wait for Auroras hd card( no box rental needed for basic cable hd),and I'm on the forum every day looking for advice to see if the plasma is giving me the best possible pq. The worst thing is now I keep thinking things are going wrong with the plasma.This morning I shut off my VCR for a few minutes leaving the plasma on a blank screen and it blinked out for a second causing me major anxiety and now I want the same model Lisa is buying.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not alone it would seem...one thing does lead to another (or 10 others) in my case. Using the addage that my HT is only is good as its weekest link my initial purchase of my Panny ED turned into a complete overhall, peice by piece, over the two weeks after purchase. This, combined with litterly hours setting up and resetting up my system as new components were added, coupled with untold more hours on the forum had my girlfriend truly vexed. In the end, however, the PQ and sound quality spoke to the value of both my monetary and time investments. I am greatful for the forum in that it has definatly helped get the most from my investment...after talking to a frined who has had a Sony plasma for about 7 months I have to believe that there a quite a few out there who really could benifit from a bit more knowledge of their system.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Now your feeding into the madness minthrakos.I really don't its just that the minute someone praises something on the forum the doubts about your own stuff come at you.If you were around during the panny- pioneer shootouts you would understand what it did to plasma owners.I ran around trying to see as many panny displays as I could to see if they were better than my 433 even though i had already done that for months before I made my decision.

Its all about the madness and now that lisa has a Benq expect a lot on that unit.I would love to actually see one(but maybe not)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Me too. Me too. Me too.

Noone mentioned an HTPC - which I suddenly could not live without. Then there's all the components that enhance that piece of eqiupment. Probably the wrong forum, but can anyone recommend a good external DVD Writer?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.