AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea but other than the TV Tuner, it looks like to me that the new Matrox meets a lot more needs than the 7500.

I'm surprised this isn't already being discussed to death here. Anyone have any opinions?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It was just announced today, but won't be available for a month or so.

I have the Radeon 7500 now and will be buying serial #0000001 of the Matrox board as soon as I can. :D

I don't doubt the picture quality will be better than ATI based on the specs and past performance, but ATI's iDCT and DVD implementation is pretty good.

Also, I don't know who makes the Matrox DVD player for them. I also don't know if the Ravisent/Cinemaster/TheaterTek filters will work for the new Parhelia "out of the box" without a retrofit from the developers. Too many unknowns. time will tell.

Robert

·
Registered
860 Posts
MSRP on the Parahelia will be $450 or $400 depending on whether you get the 256 mb or 128 mb version. Street prices will be about $50 lower on release. The 7500 can be had for $70. That is a major issue to consider in evaluating the cards, at least for me. If you want to use the card for gaming as well as HTPC, I could see eating that price delta. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to choose the 7500. Then again, it will be worth waiting and seeing what benefits it offers when actually released.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was ready to buy a GF4 for my main machine.

And an ATI for the HTPC. Might be changing my mind after seeing this thing. I want specs though. All the hype in the world means squat to me. Marketing lingo is for retail types. Show me a solid peformance # to backup your estimate and I'll buy.

128MB version is plenty for me thanks, I only game @ 1024 X 768 anyway, since higher resolutions make aiming for the head in games so much harder. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Better driver support? Hah!

Once apon a time, Matrox made a card called the G200 and said, "OpenGL, hell yeah it does OpenGL!". Well the card debuted and there was no OpenGL. "We'll have it for you soon" they said. Sometime later they announced the G400 and said "OpenGL, Hell yeah it does OpenGL.. oh and by the way, the G200 won't do OpenGL, buy the G400."

Seriously though... there's no way a recently announced card can de-throne one that is already on the market until someone can test it out for the specific features we are looking for. This thing has a lot of bells and whistles that we don't care about (like surround 3d). Sure, they are the 2D image quality king but this card is all about 3d so we'll see if like the other cards out there where 2d has become less of a priority.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I recently installed a ATI 7500 and pulled out my Matrox G400...Big Mistake!!!!

So far I get choppy video, no DTS (until I upgrade my sound card too:mad: )

My computer hangs up when it goes into suspend mode.

Matrox was trouble free with better text and 2D graphics.

Kinda sorry I spent nearly $300 cdn on this card and did not know about the new Matrox.

Although the TV tuner is kind of cool and so is the remote, but hey if it ain't workin' what good is it?

Any suggestions?

signed

p.o'ed

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If any of you bleeding edge folks wants to dump your 7500 for the $400 card let me know. Then once you all work out the bugs I will pick one of them up.

I love riding on the coat tails of all you guys : )

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I'm still happily using my Matrox G400 TV card. And I'm now holding out for a card with high rez (> 480) MPEG4 acceleration support.

- Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.