AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an older machine but does it still compete with the newer epsons or sonys for that matter.

I understand the 3LCD pannels are the same on the epsons and the pannys.

Reason i ask is that the sony es40 will not fit my set up but the panny and the epsons will. I used to own a AE1000 and currently own a TW2000.

i assume the panny is going to be a noticeable upgrade to my 6 year old epson.

I am looking for a bright projector as i dont have a man cave.

I do some gaming as well so lowish lag is important.

blacks are not terribly vital as i dont again have a controlled light room

the panny is at least $1000 dollars cheaper in the UK than the epson 5030Ub

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would go with the Epson if it's only a few hundred more.

What about the Sony doesn't fit?

Edit...saw you mentioned the Panasonic is 1000 less, what are your prices over there. I don't think it's nearly that much difference here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go with the Epson if it's only a few hundred more.

What about the Sony doesn't fit?

Edit...saw you mentioned the Panasonic is 1000 less, what are your prices over there. I don't think it's nearly that much difference here.

prices in UK are all over the place but i can get the panny for £1150 (around $1600 dollars), the Epson TW9200 is £1900 ($2650 dollars) - quite a step up over the panny.

The TW7200 (the USA 4030 i believe but in uk you dont get spare lamp or mount) is £1360 ($1900 dollars).

Mr room is a maximum of 136 inches from rear of wall to screen - the sonys depth is long so i need a further 2.5 inches of distance between lens and screen to allow me to get a 100 inch image. Sonys throw is around 118 inches so that leaves 16 inches of space for the projector and unfortunately the sony is 18.5 inches deep

·
Registered
316 Posts
Good call. The Sony's air intake is also near the rear, so you would want it a few inches away from the back wall as well.

I have no personal experience with the Panasonic...hopefully someone who has used both will chime in.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I know this is an older machine but does it still compete with the newer epsons or sonys for that matter.

I understand the 3LCD pannels are the same on the epsons and the pannys.

Reason i ask is that the sony es40 will not fit my set up but the panny and the epsons will. I used to own a AE1000 and currently own a TW2000.

i assume the panny is going to be a noticeable upgrade to my 6 year old epson.

I am looking for a bright projector as i dont have a man cave.

I do some gaming as well so lowish lag is important.

blacks are not terribly vital as i dont again have a controlled light room

the panny is at least $1000 dollars cheaper in the UK than the epson 5030Ub
Depends what you mean by "bright". The AE8000 is NOT bright compared to other projectors. It has weak reds which leave only 600 lumens when calibrated with accurate color. If you like cartoonish colors, then it is as bright as the Sony, but not when proper color and gray scale are adjusted.

If you don't have a man-cave, why not look at the Benq W1070 ? It is brighter than any of the others you mention and has low lag for gaming. It could also fill up to a 120" screen in your room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts