AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen it at sears online.. Supports 1080p too.. 2 component inputs & DVI..(Not sure if it's HDCP compliant) Being a monitor I believe it displays 720p without upconverting the signal to 1080i.. Great price too.. Would like any thoughts on this TV?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
Being a monitor I believe it displays 720p without upconverting the signal to 1080i..
it is not a PC monitor, it is an HD monitor

it is very cool that it supports 1080p input

but I would guess it scales all HD inputs to 1080i

the thing is with 1080p sources

is the devices which are capable of outputting 1080p will also be able to scale to 1080i or 720p for the appriorate display

HD DVD/ Blu Ray players will be able to scale, D VHS players I would guess can scale, PS3s & Xbox360s can scale and PCs can scale

so what it comes down to is whether this TV has a better scaler than these other components

Quote:
Supports 1080p too..
only as input though

its not displaying that nor 720p

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
The Prima 30" TV is made by one of the Chinese TV companies in China. I believe this Prima is made in the same factory where the Advent 30" is being made.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
The Prima 30" TV is made by one of the Chinese TV companies in China. I believe this Prima is made in the same factory where the Advent 30" is being made.
Correct. Prima also makes Advent TV's..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku
From what I hear, advent is pretty bad. Would that also make this display mediocre too? For $600 at Sears they're selling a 30" Widescreen HDTV with 2 component inputs, DVI and several more. It seems like a good deal with 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p HD compatibility. Is it worth the price?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=05742185000
Hey buddy from HDarcade :D Long time no see.. How is school? I'm upgrading to a bigger HDTV for the 360..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Actually, I graduated from college in May. I'm now trying to find a job. :( Although it's good to see a friendly face. :)
Cool.. GL.. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi ,I've been doin research on the prima 27"(due to a low budget) at sears I Thought I saw somewhere on it that the 30" has a toshiba tube.look on "prima americas site for a link to the true manufactuer

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality13
Hi ,I've been doin research on the prima 27"(due to a low budget) at sears I Thought I saw somewhere on it that the 30" has a toshiba tube.look on "prima americas site for a link to the true manufactuer
Prima TVs are made by Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co. Ltd. Go to the link at:

http://www.asia.manufacturers.global....com/xiamen.co

Where did you find the information that Prima 30" uses a Toshiba tube? Toshiba does not make TV tubes anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw it here some where of corse now i cant find it--lol

found where it might be but I cant post links yet.

HT SERIES:

Display Format: HDTV-1080 / 720P £*>1080i SDTV - 480P £*>480P;480i£*>960i NTSC£*>480i£*>960i(By DRC)

Wide Screen: Toshiba Pure Flat Tube

Horizontal Frequency: 28K - 48KHz

Vertical Frequency: 50 - 120Hz

Maximum Resolution: 1980¡Ã1024(1)

Aspect Ratio: 16:9, 4:3

A2/NICAM Stereo(option)

3 AV IN; 1 AV OUT; S-Video IN; Y PbPr, Y CbCr,XGA

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Wide Screen: Toshiba Pure Flat Tube
Hmmm, that's very odd. If Toshiba still makes picture tubes, why do the 30HF84 and 30HF85 don't come with Toshiba tubes. It may be an old source you are looking at.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
If the 27 has a tosh tube it could be a good deal for my needs ill look some more see if i can find it mabey you could search too walt
I seriously doubt that the Prima 27" TV comes with a Toshiba tube. But if you believe that it comes with a Toshiba tube, go ahead and believe in it. As long as the TV is cheap and it works, then you are fine.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
I wish there was more information on this tv.
Me too.. Still not sure what TV I'm going to get.. If I get a CRT it will be 34inches.. Also thinking about the Toshiba 56inch 1080p RP DLP.. MSRP is only 3,100.. The Sony 42inch RP LCD HDTV..New model..

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I would think it is not worth the price

and I explained above why 1080p inputs are just pointless for 1080i and 720p TVs
Hey kny3twalker!

It's good to see you posting. I thought we had lost you a few weeks ago. Maybe it was just me.

Anyway, I agree with everything you advised the OP except, a set that accepts 1080p "may" prove bennificial with the coming HD DVDs. They may output 1080p, and being able to receive that "might" be a good thing. I realize his set will still only display it at 1080i - who knows.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to sound like the stupid one but i have some questions..... (im new here :) )

1. If i hook a xbox360 to this tv will the quality be displayed in 720p? (all games support it)

2. When you say "scaled down" does that mean you could input ___p but it will scale it down to ____i?

3. Why is the price for a 30 in hdtv so low?!?!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.