AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the 80gb ps3 bitstream the audio to a receiver so i can get DTS-HD-MA.the USA ps3. thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/12933195

dose the 80gb ps3 bitstream the audio to a receiver so i can get DTS-HD-MA.the USA ps3. thanks for your time

Nope... the PS3 doesn't handle dts-ma for the moment and only send lpcm to your receiver via hdmi

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that so you can not get dts-hd-ma audio bitstream only the core at 1.5mpbs via hdmi as lpcm.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/12933258

Correct.

The PS3 will only ever be able to internally decode True HD/DTS MA and output them as LPCM.

Which isn't a problem or a big deal really, unless you like to had some artificial effect to you soundtrack or if you absolutly need to see "TrueHD" displayed on your AV receiver

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/12933710

ok so you can not get dts-hd-ma on bitstream dose it internally decode dts-hd-ma.

Not yet but I don't see anything except the licensing fee that would stop it from being able to decode it internally in the future if sony decide to do it. The PS3 has all the horsepower needed for this job.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/12933710

ok so you can not get dts-hd-ma on bitstream dose it internally decode dts-hd-ma.

Not at the moment but there is substantial rumor that it is in the works. No official announcement yet though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
why do you spell does "dose"?

·
Registered
94 Posts
haha. anyway i know what a ps3 can and can not do. but what i don't understand is it can send lpcm which is an uncompressed format through bitstream via hdmi and yet can not send compressed format such as DDtruehd and DTS HDma. i know it can decode true hd not dts hdma yet. if it can't then a firmware update will surely do it. it doesn't really need a dedicated chipset to do the decoding the ps3 is a solid computer after all. so just a software is needed. still wondering when that firmware update will be released.

·
23,030 Posts
Already at least 4 threads about this. Please do a search. All threads end the same way: HBR bitstreaming from PS3. DTS-MA decode may be coming but until it actually shows up we won't know. Everything else is already decoded to PCM.

larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.