AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my PS3 connected to my Pio Elite 82TXS receiver via HDMI cable, I have the PS3 set up to output in Linear PCM, as so is my Pio Elite when I watch Blu-Ray movies, this is I believe the correct settings to get the PS3 to decode the new HD audio formats and send it to the Pio Elite to my speakers. I thought I heard that the PS3 downmixes to 5.1 surround, is this true? So if I have a blu-ray movie that is in 7.1 surround, the PS3 will downmix it to 5.1 regardless? Is there a way to get 7.1 sound? Just curious, or is the PS3 just outdated for the blu-ray player and can't handle the full capability of the new sound formats? Thanks for your time! I can't seem to get a definite answer to this.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINADS /forum/post/14330274

I have my PS3 connected to my Pio Elite 82TXS receiver via HDMI cable, I have the PS3 set up to output in Linear PCM, as so is my Pio Elite when I watch Blu-Ray movies, this is I believe the correct settings to get the PS3 to decode the new HD audio formats and send it to the Pio Elite to my speakers. I thought I heard that the PS3 downmixes to 5.1 surround, is this true? So if I have a blu-ray movie that is in 7.1 surround, the PS3 will downmix it to 5.1 regardless? Is there a way to get 7.1 sound? Just curious, or is the PS3 just outdated for the blu-ray player and can't handle the full capability of the new sound formats? Thanks for your time! I can't seem to get a definite answer to this.

It most definitely WILL output 7.1! You just need to make sure the 7.1 options are checked in the audio setup, and also to select the 7.1 track in the movies audio options menu. I recommend "3:10 to Yuma" for some 7.1 awesomeness

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but where is the audio options, I only can find the PCM and bitstream options?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINADS /forum/post/14330500

Thanks for the reply, but where is the audio options, I only can find the PCM and bitstream options?

Settings>Sound Settings>Audio Output Settings>HDMI>Manual. Then just check all the boxes that your AVR will support. It goes without saying that you have to use HDMI audio to get 7.1 audio for BR movies.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony /forum/post/14330387

and also to select the 7.1 track in the movies audio options menu.

I could be wrong, but it seems like every Blu Ray movie I've put into my PS3 automatically defaults to the best sound format. Alot of times I'll go into the setup menu to make sure, but it seems like it's been a waste of time, cause it was always set to the TrueHD or DTS-MA or whatever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts