AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sub from a HTiaB setup and it came with a thin RCA cable to go from the woofer to the receiver. I'm buying a new (real, lol) subwoofer and want to know if i should also buy a new RCA cable of higher quality (from monoprice or something).

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I myself would get a thicker guage cable .. it's not like they cost a ton ..

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Quality matters more for subwoofer cables than regular speaker cable. The reason is subwoofers produce a lot of sound at 60Hz while normal speakers don't. 60Hz is the frequency of your home electricity (unless you live in europe). If your subwoofer cable is unshielded, it may pick up a 60Hz RF signal from your home electrical wires and produce a 60Hz hum. A good subwoofer cable should be coaxial and it's probably best to get RG6 quad shield.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
the fact that the OP is coming from a HTIAB sub to something better is the real tip off ..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn
Quality matters more for subwoofer cables than regular speaker cable. The reason is subwoofers produce a lot of sound at 60Hz while normal speakers don't. 60Hz is the frequency of your home electricity (unless you live in europe). If your subwoofer cable is unshielded, it may pick up a 60Hz RF signal from your home electrical wires and produce a 60Hz hum. A good subwoofer cable should be coaxial and it's probably best to get RG6 quad shield.
What???

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster /forum/post/20825393

What???

I believe he is trying to say; to help prevent interference and ground loop...

For the record I'm using an old 20' Phoenix Gold stereo cable, split in halve and coupled to go around the perimeter of my living room, with no ill effects.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/20824111

I have a sub from a HTiaB setup and it came with a thin RCA cable to go from the woofer to the receiver. I'm buying a new (real, lol) subwoofer and want to know if i should also buy a new RCA cable of higher quality (from monoprice or something).

Thanks!

I also found great sub cables at Monoprice - get the more expensive shielded kind for oh say $7 for 35feet! In the grand scheme of things you're likely better served paying more attention to room acoustics than sub cables as the former will pay far more sonic dividends. Bass traps will be needed with 'real' subs(s). So too is a measurement device to find the best sub location(s); I like the OmniMic by Dayton Audio. Finally, PEQ should be considered to help even out the bass freq range. So you can see a cable should be the least of your worries, so to speak . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.