AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered the SAT C kit in order to get Showtime HD from DirectTV. Is it true that I'll be able to get local HDTV broadcasts also and be able to retire my 160" wingspan OTA antenna?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
No. There are no D* HD local channels.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Currently, the only High Definition channels on DirecTV are:

• PPV - ch 198

• HDnet - ch 199

• HBO-HD - ch 509

• Showtime-HD - ch 543

DirecTV doesn't have the bandwidth to do locals in HD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Everything I've heard Directv will never carry local DT/HDTV channels. We would be lucky if Directv ever carries ESPN-HD! They simply don't have the bandwidth to carry all those channels.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RNaval
The following advertisement \\ description lead me to believe that I could get Local HDTV signals with the Sat C Kit. What do you suppose they meant?
It says "local and HDTV reception", but makes no mention of LOCAL HDTV reception. For local HDTV reception, you need an OTA TV antenna.

Some DirecTV markets require a 3-LNB "multi-satellite" dish connected to a multi-satellite receiver in order to receive local channels via DirecTV. The Sat-C kit upgrades existing 2-LNB dishes to a 3-LNB dish so local channels can be received in those markets.

The 3rd LNB is also currently required for certain other programming, including Showtime-HD, channel 543. That's what the ad is referring to when it mentions "HDTV"....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RNaval
The following advertisement \\ description lead me to believe that I could get Local HDTV signals with the Sat C Kit. What do you suppose they meant?

http://store.yahoo.com/spectravox/6110.html
They are implying that the locals for some markets will be on the 110 satellite. That is not the case for you. The NYC locals are on the 119 satellite.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I was told that our locals will be on the 110 sat, when they become available late this year or early next year. But I have no plans to subscribe to the locals when they become available, because I get them OTA in HD, for free.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arxaw and Bill,

Thanks for the clarification, I should have read the ad more closely, my apologies.

...RN

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would doubt that DirecTV is going to have any locals at 110. With only 3 transponders there, if they can squeeze 2 HD channels per transponder, they can offer 6 HD channels from there. Also, the new spot beam satellite for DirecTV is going to 119. With one there, and one at 101, it would make more sense to put any additional markets on one of those 2 satellites.

You wont ever see HD locals on satellite though, unless its a deal like Echostar's CBS from NYC. Nobody has the bandwidth to do it, unless they were to move over to possibly the Ka band for these, where I believe they can have many more transponders per orbital slot. But I think Ka in itself isnt looking too promising for video services from what I have read. (that may have changed?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.