AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the 3100hd (Comcast Digital Cable) and it looks fine on the HD channels. But when I went to fine tune the tv focus settings (47"Pannsonic widescreen) I noticed it is locking the 1080i at 4:3 not 16:9. When I go to the non HD channels, they are all 4:3 and the button on my tv remote doesnt work to change the ratio.

Is this locked on this box? Is there a way to set it in the menus, because I cant find it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On the SA 3250 (assuming similar design) you have to go into the settings for the box and change the aspect ratio of your TV to widescreen. It also lets you choose which signal inputs you want to accept. For example, I have a 720p native resolution and before I changed the settings it was scaling 720p material to 1080 which caused black borders around the entire picture on HD material that wasn't stretched. My box came with a two page quick install manual that explained how to set up the aspect ratios. You have to press settings + info at the same time or something like that (can't remember the actual button combo) while the power to the box is off to access the menu.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I downloaded the 2 page user guide from SAs web site, but it doesnt mention anything in there about changing the format or accesing a menu such as that. Hoping someone with the 3100 has run into this before.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The directions referenced above are on the Scientific Atlanta web site. I think this is a direct link:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/exp...d/4003114B.pdf

Might as well try it out, but unfortunately ... no, the 3100HD is not a similar design and I don't think the above will work (nor is there any software upgrade to enable it). The 3100HD seems to always add bars to SD cahnnels and upconvert them to 1080i.

When I had a 3100HD, I found the best work-around was to connect it via component AND SVideo. I used SVideo for SD channels, and component for HD channels. Kind of a pain ... but the best the 3100HD could offer.

When I heard my cable company was offering some 3250HDs ... I traded in very quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.