AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh snap, I just got my Sony KP-57ws500 and it is in the flicker serial range with a build date of August 2002.

I'd see if I could get a newer one but I bought it from The Wiz in their going out of business sale so there's not much chance of that.

I looked up the Sony web site and was interested to see their service note that includes the statement..."...Also, this issue is unique in that it is self-correcting and will actually resolve itself over a period of time..."

Really?

It resolves itself?

I'm betting that I will get the flicker eventually but I'm not too concerned as I got a pretty good price. It's worth the hassle of a warranty repair/replacement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Just bought a:

Sony KP-57WS500

Serial# 9705460

Build Date: January 2003

Will I be affected in the flickering issue?

Is the best buy service warranty worth getting for 300$?

What convergence issues will I have?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody posted the serial number range somewhere in here. Do a search for "Sony KP-57WS500" or "flicker" and you should get lots of info.

I think the general belief is that anything with a 2003 build date should be okay.

Sony still claims that only 1% of sets are affected although I find that hard to believe.

As far as your convergence question....I'm not sure. But a lot of people seem to recommend buying the Avia DVD to help adjust the settings...and then a professional calibrator type guy if you want to maximize your picture quality.

I think I'll do the Avia but that's it.

My TV is still in the box because I'm moving soon. I had to buy it early because of the sale price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was one of the first to catch the flicker back in July. It was January when Sony admitted they had a flicker issue with multiple sets. In six months the flicker never wnt away. The only cure is to repalce the tubes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.