AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - I just upgraded my family room from a 2.1 system (unpowered sub) to a 5.1 system (powered Sunfire HRS-8). However, my wife and I watch maybe one movie a week. The rest of the time the main receiver is off, or in 2ch "CD" mode (playing the comcast music channel distributed from a remote cable box).


Point is, I only use the sub a few hours a week, so should i leave it on all the time? I understand it goes into a
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
I like bluesky listen more often then you, so a simple power strip like this




and you can turn it off when you are not using it.


It will not cause any problems with your AVR.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
your sub should have a auto switch on the back,if it does,switch to auto and the only time it will kick in is when your watching a movie or music. auto mode is like stand by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/18172733


your sub should have a auto switch on the back,if it does,switch to auto and the only time it will kick in is when your watching a movie or music. auto mode is like stand by.

I quit using auto turn on because I found it to not be reliable. I listen to a wide variety of music in addition to movies. I have a collection that ranges from 60's rock to classical orchestral to Baroque organ to Renassaince dance. Most of the older dance music does not have much in the way of deep bass, and what it does have was not enough to trigger the auto on to the sub. You didn't know you were missing anything until you turned the sub on. So I just leave it on all the time now and I don't have to worry about missing anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18174319


I quit using auto turn on because I found it to not be reliable. I listen to a wide variety of music in addition to movies. I have a collection that ranges from 60's rock to classical orchestral to Baroque organ to Renassaince dance. Most of the older dance music does not have much in the way of deep bass, and what it does have was not enough to trigger the auto on to the sub. You didn't know you were missing anything until you turned the sub on. So I just leave it on all the time now and I don't have to worry about missing anything.

If the LFE signal is not strong enough then yuo need to use a "Y" splitter on the sub unless youi only have one RCA plugin for the LFE. the youi need to boost the LFE signal at the reciever by .05 or 1.0. I know youi can do this with MCACC but i don't know how to with Audyssey (and i have Audyssey).


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 /forum/post/18175484


If the LFE signal is not strong enough then yuo need to use a "Y" splitter on the sub unless youi only have one RCA plugin for the LFE. the youi need to boost the LFE signal at the reciever by .05 or 1.0. I know youi can do this with MCACC but i don't know how to with Audyssey (and i have Audyssey).


Bill

Yes, I know how to do it and no, there is no need to do it. My sub trim level with Audyssey is -3 dB. Right where it needs to be. I am talking about very low level, almost inaudible bass on the Renassaince dance music.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top