AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a cheap "OEM" DVD player and have noticed that I get some lost pixels etc and was wondering if I upgraded to a Panasonic DVD player I would notice any improvement in PQ while maybe fixing the lost pixels.

Has anyone ever gone through this?

Thanks

·
Registered
822 Posts
Unless you have a defective DVD drive in your HTPC, then you should look somewhere else in your setup for the root of your problem.

The DVD drive is just reading data off the disc. This data then gets processed by your DVD player software with or without assistance from your video card.

So if you've used this DVD drive to install programs, etc without any problems - more than likely it is fine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have seen many cases where the quality of the DVD or CD drive itself affects the drives ability to read the disc in cases where the disc is not in 'pristine' condition. A few minor scratches or some dust may render a cheap drive useless whereas a drive that has more circuitry for caching and error correction and/or a better laser may do a better job.

I have two fairly inexpensive stand alone DVD players and I see the same thing with them (one is RCA the other is Samsung and the Samsung can frequently read discs that I get from Blockbuster that are scratched when the RCA cannot.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.