AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that using a high color level can reduce the life of cathode tubes for example.

What about the X1 and its colorwheel? I really don't know much about the technology, but I've heard that its mirrors of some kind?!

Anyhow, would bumping the color say to 100 reduce the life of the projector or put more strain on it?

tx! :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I believe that everything in the X1 spins or burns or otherwise runs at a constant rate, no matter what settings you make. The bulb burns constant, the color wheel is constant, the fan is constant.

Color, brightness, contrast etc. are varied by the mirrors in the DLP chip which flick-around pretty quickly, regardless of how you have the color & brightness set.

Even presentation mode (which is brighter) is just mirror manipulation.

·
Registered
607 Posts
No, there are no color phosphors to degrade or cause burn in like on a CRT. You can max the brightness, color and contrast (not that I recommend that) and have no affect on the longevity of anything but maybe the bulb and even thats not for sure. DLP devices make the colors on screen by shining the light thru a plastic spinning color wheel and the rest of the image is a result of thousands of tiny mirrors on a chip that either reflect light toward the lens or reflect it away (on or off) to over simplify it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
LCD color panels degrade over time. DLP color wheels do not.

However, it is higher brightness that increases degredation in LCD

projectors, not more intense color, as far as I am aware.

-Sporty

·
Registered
238 Posts
The X1's color-wheel filters are, in fact, Dichroic-coated high-temperature glass, not plastic. I'm speaking of the actual filters, not the wheel itself.

They will not 'fade' over time, nor degrade in any manner.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
212 Posts
They won't fade, but they will get a stubborn dust buildup on them that degrades color and brightness. I had to clean mine and gained back 15-20

ticks on my brightness that I had lost over 1200 hours. You can see the buildup as a haze directly on the color wheel, if it doesn't shine back as reflective glass then it may be hazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.