AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to take the HD plunge, and having read so many complaints about all the other STBs, I'm thinking that maybe the best compromise for now is the DTC100 (using the RGB to component transcoder). Please forgive the newbie questions, but I'm wondering what I can expect when I connect it to my 36XBR400. I understand that the DTC100 puts out 540p, but what does the XBR do with the signal? Does it kick it to 1080i? What about OTA 4:3 material? Will that end up with black bars all around? Can I dodge the black bars by outputting the signal using an S-video connection? If so, what will it look like on the TV? Thanks in advance for your patience.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The RCA DTC-100 works well with the Sony XBR-400. But you'll need a vga-to-component signal converter (RCA has one) to connect it to one of the component inputs on the XBR. For over-the-air HDTV and DirectTV's HBO HDTV, the DCT-100's 1080i output looks great. But for 4:3 programming (the rest of DirectTV), you'll probably want to connect the S-video output of the RCA to one of the S-video inputs on the Sony so you can get full screen 4:3, instead of a boxed-in 4:3.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillJulyan:
...you'll probably want to connect the S-video output of the RCA to one of the S-video inputs on the Sony so you can get full screen 4:3, instead of a boxed-in 4:3.
This may not really be necessary. The DTC100 does have the capability to effectively "expand" the 4:3 picture to full screen on a 4:3 display by toggling "16:9 Crop" with the "FORWARD" button on the DTC100's remote.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Ray

When the DTC100 is in HD mode and the TV is on Vid4 or 5 for viewing HD the set will automatically put the image in 16X9 mode regardless of 4x3 or 16x9 setting in the DTC-100 menu.

Its best to go S-Video for non HD sources. Since discrete codes are available for the TV video inputs and the DTC-100 all works well.

I have a Pronto file file with this exact combo using a Marantz receiver.

Dave

------------------

Watch HDTV!!! Nothing else comes close!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ray H said
Quote:
The DTC100 does have the capability to effectively "expand" the 4:3 picture to full screen on a 4:3 display by toggling "16:9 Crop" with the "FORWARD" button on the DTC100's remote.
However, the DTC-100 always outputs a 540p or 1080i signal on the RGB output. Given a 540p or 1080i signal the XBR400 will lock into 16:9 mode on its component inputs. Thus with a 4:3 picture you'll still have the black bars on the top and bottom. The toggling that will occur will simply put it in normal mode (black bars on all sides), stretch mode (black bars on top and bottom - picture widened) or zoom which will simply zoom in on the 4:3 picture thus chopping off chunks of the top, bottom and sides of the original picture.

The solution for 4:3 material to be viewed full screen (4:3) is to use the S-Video. This is where a Pronto remote comes in handy http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif What you don't have in APG (advanced program guide) you can pretty much simulate with the Pronto remote if you're willing to take the time to program it using Pronto Edit.

As for the handling of a 540p signal the XBR400 displays it in 1080i.

So in a nutshell you can dodge the black bars on 4:3 material by using S-Video. And, OTA digitals look spectacular even on S-Video. They make Directv's overcompressed signals look awful.

Also, if the set is tuned with Avia or Video Essentials, HD looks extremely good even though the set is only capable of 720 lines of horizontal resolution. The colors are nothing short of spectacular.

[This message has been edited by AtlPaul (edited 04-18-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bob:

You can avoid all of the foregoing by going with the HD-100. I know many people have had problems with this unit but I have not. It will provide your setup with much needed flexibility. It has a variable output mode that your XBR knows what to do with, thus eliminating constant input switching. You can also use its remote for your XBR for almost every function, but not PIP. Once caution: if you plan on keeping cable, pass it directly to the XBR and not through the HD-100 for picture quality reasons. Trust me on this....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.