AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The manual says that if speakers are set to small, signals below 90 Hz are distributed to the subwoofer output, but these small or large settings have no effect on a source connected to the external decoder input.

Thanks for reading!

· Registered
29,575 Posts
Yes, if that's what the manual says then you get full range output using the analog 5.1 inputs.

Usually the external device has some kind of bass management. What are you connecting to the receiver?

And what exactly is a full range speaker? Brand and model?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hello!

I'm connecting a PC. I have this set of speakers and I don't want the bass to be cut below 90 Hz on any channel. I know that center and surround speakers doesn't have woofers, but they are capable of playing 50 Hz. I have a receiver that cuts bass on center and surround, and has an overall bad sound on these outputs, and I want to buy one which does not cut bass and has the same quality on every output.

Thank you!

Feather SS-II

· Registered
29,575 Posts
If you set all your speakers to LARGE, then they'll get full range signals.

You'd be better off with a receiver that has multiple crossover points for the front, center and surround speakers. Denon and Harman Kardon will let you do that.

That way you can set the crossover for the center and surrounds to 50 or 60hz and the fronts to LARGE so they get full range.

Don't use the Yamaha 496, get something better.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks!

The problems are that I cannot set them to large on analog 5.1 input, I'm on a low budget, there is not much to choose from where I live and the seller doesn't have speakers to test. Another option is Sony STR-DE425. 

· Registered
29,575 Posts
Kinda hard to help you.

1. You haven't said where you are

2. You haven't stated a budget

3. You didn't mention your sound card and whether it only has analog outs or maybe has digital output too.

If your options are that limited then get the Yamaha. In the first post you said small or large settings have no effect on the external inputs.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My question is, if these settings have no effect on external input, will my speakers sound as five large, as five small, or as only main large? I understand that you are saying that they will sound all large. My receiver is a Feather M-1000, and sounds like main large, and center and surround small, with no options. I want one that will output all five large. Sorry, probably all receivers work the same way but mine.

If somebody could help, I'm from Buenos Aires, my budget is 200 dollars, which are equivalent to 100 dollars on eBay. My sound card is a VIA VT1708S, which has a stereo digital output. Besides, I think my sound card has much better quality than the internal decoder of an old receiver, or am I wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.