Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I'm looking for an integrated pre-pro and amplifier to go with my newly built HTPC.

I need 5 channels of amplification @ 75 to 100 watts RMS per channel. I want to have the flexibility to separate the amplifier from the pre-pro such that I have 5 analog inputs straight to the main amps.

And here's the kicker: it would be great if it had a serial (RS232) or USB connection for fundamental control of volume, standby, etc. This interface would be hooked to the PC where control of the pre-pro would originate there (girder). I want to put the pre-pro / amp where it is not even visible. I just want it to be an extension / remote peripheral of the HTPC.

I am not an audiophile and don't need a Cadillac. Only the SPDIF input to the amplifier will be used and care not about any other capabilities other than it's DD and DTS decoding.

Does this thing exist other than something that is way over the top for me?

Thanks much,

DFA

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
There are some products which fit your requirements...

The NAD T762 receiver literally meets or exceeds all your requirements (6*100W, pre-amp outs, and 6 mains-in, bidirectional RS232 serial control).

Many receivers have 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, which might satisfy you too (the difference with the NAD is that the receiver will be able to control volume - which the NAD can do too, using its conventional 7.1 analog in, and that, using the NAD's mains in, you can't switch easily to other sources such as the integrated pre-amp).

Quite a few models of mid to high-end receivers have serial control (such as Denon 2803 and above, Onkyos Integras, Rotel RSX-1055, etc.) so you have plenty of choice.

You could also go for separates (the Rotel RSP-1066 is probably the cheapest preamp with serial control).

If budget is a constraint, check second hand/discontinued products at audiogon, videogon or ebay (Rotel RSX-972, etc.)

Eiffel

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a similar question posted (see below about pre-out/main-in), and I believe that the T762 is what you're looking for. As long as you realize that the volume control DOES operate on the '7.1 direct' input, and but DOES NOT operate on the 'direct amp input' (ie 'main-in') you should be OK on that front.

As DFA indicates, there is an rs-232 port, but I can't claim to know what is possible to control through this. I'd also love to be able to do input switching and volume control, but I haven't looked into it in detail yet.

There's supposedly an upgraded version - the T763 - coming soon, although with a $300 price increase.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If you e-mail NAD, they'll send you the information on the serial interface protocol.

Basically you can eliminate the remote, and get information on the state of the processor (by querying it to retrieve volume, etc.). The protocol is fairly extensive, but there is no 'single' message from the processor that includes all the status information: you'll have to query each parameter separately...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.