AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the deals currently out there, and am thinking of the following system. I'm somewhat new at this, and don't know whether this maximizes what I could get for the money spent.

First, about my set up. It will be for TV/Movies/Music - with TV about 80% of the time, and a lot of the TV being sports. It is in a room which is 25' x 15', but it's an apartment, so I can't blast the sound too much.

I'm not a huge fan of very strong/loud basses (especially compared to many here) - so I've tried to skimp a little bit in that segment. I plan to have this attached to my Satellite as well as to my media center computer (which contains my DVD/Blu-Ray player).

Receiver:

Pioneer VSX-1020k (Currently on Amazon for $360) - I'm debating between this and the 1019 (currently at $299). The differences seem to come down to whether I should future proof with HDMI 1.4 (i may upgrade my TV in the next year or two to 3D - though it's not imminent). Also the ethernet on the 1020k may be useful for netflix - though, as I said, this will already be attached to a computer.

Speakers:

Klipsch Synergy Quintet III (Currently on Amazon for $400) - I'll probably head to best buy tomorrow to listen to these, I've heard that Klipsch has a unique sound. I know this leaves me with 5.1 when I have a 7.1 receiver. Are there good/not expensive speakers I could get to add the other two? I might withhold on this for now, as I can easily add it in later.

Subwoofer:

BIC V-1020 (Currently $147 on Amazon) - Debating between this and the BIC F12, which is about $30 more.

Total Price = $907.00

As I said - I'm a noob, so I'd appreciate any feedback I could get. Is the receiver too good for the rather lower quality speakers? Should I try to upgrade the main speakers at the cost of downgrading the Subwoofer and Receiver? Do the components not match well for any particular reason?

Thanks so much for your help,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm heading out now to test the speakers - which I know that I need to do before buying.

Any particular reason for the Decor subs? It seemed that everybody on these forums loved the F12?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One semi-related question (I figured I'd try to keep things neat in the same thread).

What about used speakers? Importantly - what sort of price break should I look at when buying used speakers from an individual (i.e craigslist) compared to buying them from a store.

I see a pair of 5yo Synergy F-3's for $300 (150 a piece) - when the usual price is $350 or so. Is that a fair price break? How quickly do speakers like this go bad?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
Any particular reason for the Decor subs? It seemed that everybody on these forums loved the F12?
because my phone auto corrected" second sub". That is what i meant to say.

The expected price reduction tends to depend on age and model. For a popular model

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info...

Still curious about buying used for the speakers -- it doesn't seem worth it for the receivers, but I've seen a few good deals on Klipsch Synergy (F3, F1 and the F10 system) - which would come out within my price range. Is that worth it if they are a few years old?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea /forum/post/19569127

Thanks for the info...

Still curious about buying used for the speakers -- it doesn't seem worth it for the receivers, but I've seen a few good deals on Klipsch Synergy (F3, F1 and the F10 system) - which would come out within my price range. Is that worth it if they are a few years old?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

I'd recommend listening to a bunch of speakers and getting to know what you like. Bring your own music, it's fun!

www.audiogon.com is a very good place to buy used equipment.

Ron

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Regarding a receiver, if not "used" consider, for example b-stock from sites like accessories4less.

Regarding speakers: I have a lot, and haven't baught a pair that was new in years. Can't say I never would, but that's not been the best fun-for-dollar for me. Reasonably modern speakers, unless abused, don't suffer for not being new.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove /forum/post/19569191

Regarding a receiver, if not "used" consider, for example b-stock from sites like accessories4less.

Regarding speakers: I have a lot, and haven't baught a pair that was new in years. Can't say I never would, but that's not been the best fun-for-dollar for me. Reasonably modern speakers, unless abused, don't suffer for not being new.

I agree 100%. Let someone else buy em new and eat the depreciation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys - I'm learning a ton, and getting close to making decisions.

So I'm thinking about buying a used set based on either (the three options i currently see around):

Klipsch F-10 System (I would be buying this whole theater system, but with a PSW10 subwoofer because the original broke)

2 x Klipsch F-1 + 2 x Synergy S-2 + Synergy C-1

Klipsch F-3

However, I was only able to listen to (and compare with others) - the Klipsch RF-62. So a few questions:

1.) How different will the Klipsch F series sound from the RF-62? I notice the very strong treble (from the horn tweeters), and generally like it - is this sound pretty consistent between the different models (with some quality differences of course?)

2.) Is there a big difference between the quality of the F-3, the F-1 and the F-10? It seems like the F-1 and F-10 might be similar? I'll of course be listening to them all before I buy - but I won't be able to do it on the same day probably.

3.) These aren't at all related to the (Klipsch) Energy CF-50s are they? I heard those at best buy and hated them -- I think there is nothing similar, but an employee (probably an idiot) seemed to think they were.

Thanks again for the help!

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help. Can anybody let me know if this is a good deal for used speakers?

$470 for:

2 x Klipsch F-3

4 x Klipsch Synergy Quintet

I know the F-3's are 2 years old, and so still have 3 years of warranty left. Not sure about the Quintet's yet

Also will need a center piece, got an offer for an Klipsch SC-1 for $70, but this seems a little steep.

What do you think? Does this seem like a good setup?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got this used system down to $450 for:

2 x Klipsch F-3

The Klipsch Quintet III System (Center speaker + four satellites)

Is this a good deal? The speakers are only two years old, but I just talked to Klipsch and they told me the warranty won't transfer when they are resold - so this worries me a little bit. Does anybody have a good diagnostic for listening to speakers and making sure that they are good?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I am not a Klipsch guy, so cannot toll a good deal from bad there.

There are not a lot of potential problems. Look at the surrounds and cones. Make sure the look good. I the chambers are designed to be airtight you can check for leaks by mnaully flexing the woofed while watching the mid for movement (assuming 3-way speakers).

A blown speaker is usually pretty easy to hear (just make sure to listen to each driver for distortion) as can most problems related to crossover failures.

In short: inspect the cabinet, inspect the drivers. Listen with music you know. Then listen with the volume down so you can put your ear near each drive and hear its working.

·
Registered
33 Posts
(I would be buying this whole theater system, but with a PSW10 subwoofer because the original broke)

I owned a PSW10 for perhaps 2 months before I upgraded to a BIC H100. If possible save your money and buy one of these. Your towers may put out enough bass to get you by in the meantime.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19575151

A much better system than Quintets would be:

Any particular reason, or just personal preference?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I see you are going to make me look up the quintets huh?

Hrm. If I were buying I don't think I would get the quintets. The frequency response does not go down far enough for a preferred crossover point, and I find the lack of a tolerance disturbing.

The MMD drivers in the Infinity Primus line are the best near their price range. The cabinets are a bit resonant, an the crossover is less than ideal (I doubt the Klipsh crossover is any better; it is the nature of this price point), but overall the Primus sound is excellent.

Above I pointed out that I am not a Klipsh guy. I do have very posiive experience with Infinity, and run a pair of heavily modified Primus 362's in my family room.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea /forum/post/19575215

Any particular reason, or just personal preference?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

The Quintets satellites have to crossover to the subwoofer at 120hz or higher and the center needs to crossover at 125hz or higher. Above 80hz your ear will track the transition of sounds between the speakers and the subwoofer. It becomes like watching (listening to) a ping-pong match between the subwoofer and the speakers. The Infinities can be crossed over at 80hz which is the point where the source of the bass becomes far less obvious - eliminating the ping-pong effect. Second the Klipsch can become a tad fatiguing to listen to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good point - it looks like i can fix this a little bit by getting an SC-1 to use as the center speaker, and just using the satellites from the quintet (where the transition will be less noticeable due to the low output from the satellites).

The SC-1 is older but is a high quality speaker, and it won't switch over until 60Hz, which is well below the range you were mentioning.

~Lyuokdea

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Won't really help, an you may add timber matching problems to the front. Human voice (main job of the center) only goes down to 350hz. It's a lot of mid bass that will suffer.

And since I have not seen an actual FR graph, it is possible that the speakers will have trouble keeping up even with a high crossover.

Proximity will matter a lot. As a sound system for a pc, you should be fine. In an actual listening room or home theater, my opinion is that you need more speaker.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.