Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I got see a JVC G10 today. Nice picture, but I saw something I never would have expected from a non CRT projector. It looked as if the projector was out of convergense. In the left side of the picture (facing the screen) it looked as if the red and green were of by 2 pixels in opposite direction. But the really weird part is that on the right side of the screen, it was all but gone.

Is this normal for a Dila, and if not, can it be corrected?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Probably bad source, bad cabling, or wrong refresh rate if HTPC. DILA or digital projector owners rarely (probably never) complained about convergence issues. We complain a lot about other things but not convergence.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I dont think it had anything to do with the source, because it was also a problem on the menu text of the G10 (sorry I did not mention that).

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
305 Posts
It's probably not source. DILA projectors have three separate LCD panels, those can (and often are) be out of alignment. Mine is. DILA experts correct me if I'm wrong, but very little can be done about it. Short of replacing the optical unit (running the risk of getting a new optical unit with dead pixels.) Also, I believe I have read somewhere that, the convergence can change when you flip the projector upsidedown.

Jeremy

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

I want Buffy in HDTV!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Jeremy,

I am about to hang my 9015 D-ILA upside down. I hope what you say doesn't happen!

Regarding the misconvergance in that G-10 device...I would get something else as indeed there is little that can be done to re-align the three D-ILA panels, unless JVC does it (is the unit still under warranty?). The amount of stated pixel displacement seems extreme!...

-THTS

·
Registered
707 Posts
DILA panels are soldered into place at the factory so the alignment is fixed into position. Electrically via the service software the panels may be shifted up/down, left/right by one pixel. If the misalignment is not uniform across the screen than any attempts to correct it via the software will make the image either worse or mirror image the defect. JVC does not perform panel realignment (physically remove the panel and resolder), they will simply replace the entire optical block and recalibrate the projector from scratch for you if required.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Frank,

All this time with the 9015 and you still haven't installed it inverted? Dang, I thought I was the only one to be slow to the gun. Put your 35mm away and start watchin' some DILA. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I think what I'll do is turn it upside down in the place where it is now before mounting. My G11 panels non inverted seem to be spot on. I hope this doesn't change.

Chris

·
Registered
707 Posts
CCLAY,

The convergence can't change as it is a fixed panel device. The only thing that will be changed is the shading of the projector. Depending on the age of your G11 there is the capability to have inverted shading (mirror image of the upright shading) saved in a separate memory location of the projector in the factory software. The reason why this feature is necessary is that the position of the arc "flame" of the Xenon lamp is in a different location dependant on the projector being upright or inverted. The G15 has a lens to re-orient the position of the lamp relative to the DILA panels. Since this feature is not found on the G11 the software correction is needed. The feature is activated when the user changes the on-screen menu to invert the image. Projectors produced prior to September of 2000 generally do not have this updated firmware installed to take advantage of this feature.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Chris,

The engineering design and manufacturing execution (done by someone else) of an adjustable distance-throw rack system with integral ceiling mount facilities has taken a loooong time to accomplish. Is coming along just fine, though, and perhaps I can get it installed this weekend by one of my buddies.

But other challenging aspects to this system still remain to be addressed...like the design and construction of a "hush box" contraption...

-THTS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.