AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a HK AVR-75 reciever, which last night decided to blow it's left channel amp. This particular model had a feature that I found to be EXTREMELY handy, which the manual dubbed the "TV Auto Function" .. Basically you routed the video out from your tv/monitor/projector into the TV-IN port on the back of the reciever, and the reciever automatically switched ON when a video signal was sensed, and automatically turned OFF after 5 minutes of no video activity (as long as TV is still the selected input). This feature basically let me turn on/off my entire AV system with the power button on my TV remote, without having to resort to fancy macro's or any of that other crud.

My question is do any of the new HK (or any other brand for that matter) recievers have a function similar to this? I'm going to sorely miss this feature if the service center can't resurrect my beloved AVR-75 ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would H/K discontinue such an amazingly useful feature? Most of these recievers are used in a home theatre system, with the display unit being the key item used in all video setups.. Turn the display on, the sound system should go with it.. Discontinuing this feature just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME! :(

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Reason is simple..

The AVR 75 and 85 were made for Harman/Kardon by Marantz this feature was found on certain Marantz models. The H/K models have a more refined remote control so it is straightforward to set up a macro to

do this... :cool:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Phish, don't despair, just use the AVR75 as a pre and an outboard amp with a trigger-on input. If the AVR75 does not have a 12 volt output to trigger the amp just get a compatible wall wart at RS and plug it into the switched outlet. That's what I did with my old AVR20II and a PA5800. You should be able to get a PA5800 for about $300 at audiogon. Or even better, a Signature 2.1 at harmanaudio.com for $688.

Dsmith

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinitro
Reason is simple..

The AVR 75 and 85 were made for Harman/Kardon by Marantz this feature was found on certain Marantz models. The H/K models have a more refined remote control so it is straightforward to set up a macro to

do this... :cool:
That seems like a great feature. Does anyone know if any current Marantz receiver with this feature?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Get a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote. It's THE best $100 you'll ever spend on your home theater system. One button turns on everythng. One button turns off everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hwc
Get a Home Theater Master MX-500 remote. It's THE best $100 you'll ever spend on your home theater system. One button turns on everythng. One button turns off everything.
Here lies my problem. I watch all of my TV programming through a TIVO. There isn't a single universal remote available today that's set up to properly control a PVR without just throwing all the normally grouped (and highly utilized) buttons all over the place. The TIVO remote doesn't support macro's, and I don't really want to have 2 remotes, one to turn on the system, and one to actually control the system. I just want to be able to hit the power button on the remote that I use 99.9% of the time and have it turn on my TV, with the remainder of the system following suit. It's a very simple requirement.. a requirement that manufacturers make very difficult (almost by design?)..

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phish
Here lies my problem. I watch all of my TV programming through a TIVO. There isn't a single universal remote available today that's set up to properly control a PVR without just throwing all the normally grouped (and highly utilized) buttons all over the place. The TIVO remote doesn't support macro's, and I don't really want to have 2 remotes, one to turn on the system, and one to actually control the system. I just want to be able to hit the power button on the remote that I use 99.9% of the time and have it turn on my TV, with the remainder of the system following suit. It's a very simple requirement.. a requirement that manufacturers make very difficult (almost by design?)..
Have you been to the TiVo forum? From reading the posts about remote controls there, the MX-500 seems to fit the bill for us TiVo users and for what you want to do. I myself use a DirecTiVo unit for my TV watching. I will let you know what I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.