AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older VHS tape I'm trying to dub to DVD-R. Using regular RCA jacks into L2 of a Panny E-80. I start a flexible record and then play the tape. About half a second in, the recording pauses and then indicates something like "This media cannot be duplicated". Does this indicate it's a copy-protected tape? I'm just looking for a one time dub of an instructional video to DVD before it wears out......

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, I believe that this means it is copywrited. If this is a commercial VHS tape sold anytime in the past 8 years, I would guess that it has copywrite protection and that you're not supposed to be able to copy it. I am not sure, but I think that it's legal to backup bought VHS tapes that you own. The macrovision that is used however, will probably prevent you from accomplishing that.

On a side note, you've used your name as your user ID. I think that I recognize this name. If you don't know Shanker, than you're not who I thought. If so, I apologize. I thought I would take a stab to see.

Happe Burning :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've noticed an usual phenomenon with really low-grade (in terms of signal quality) VHS tapes I've dubbed. The tape looks fine when I copy it, but when I play the disc I've made back I get a kind of digital mosaic pattern over part, but not all, of the screen -- almost like what they do when they intentionally censor part of a TV show (for nudity, or to hide a Mafia witness).

The tapes in question were "home-made" compilations of NHL fights. Some of material deubbed to DVD looks fine, some has that weird mosaic. I've just attributed it to a really bad signal, since some of the material is from the late 1970s and is presumably been through dozens of generations of copying. It's on the outer edge of even being watchable.

I don' t think its a function of macrovision, although I know that places do sell these tapes black market fashion, they're usually made by people with more time than sense, and watched by the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mobocrazy, that's not macrovision...you are correct thats a signal quality issue as well as digitization issue...I am copying old VHS to DVD and with poor quality tape, I use 2 hr mode max. This seems to result in little or no noticeable loss of quality--of course, like I said, its already crappy on the tape and going digital cannot make it better...lol.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Signs of macrovision are as follows: picture can go to black & white, picture can bend especially at the top (flagging), brightness shifting (picture seems to get darker, brighter). It basically renders the copy unwatchable (unless you can put up with this constant nonsense. )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.