Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my Pio 4340 for a couple months now. Unfortunately there is a bit green in darker (gray) scenes that prevents me from absolutely falling in love with my Pio (even after calibrating with DVE). But I guess there is hope - ISF calibration. I contacted one and after a few e-mail exhanges, the ISF tech gave me a quote by e-mail - does this quote sound fair? (following is copied from the tech's e-mail to me):

"I charge $450 for Pioneer plasmas. I have to calibrate it a minimum of 4 times (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) It takes a bit longer but you get better results being able to maximize all scanning rates separately."

Also, can I expect to see true grays in dark scenes on my Pio after ISF calibration?

Klown - out.

·
23,039 Posts
ISF calibration may not fix your problem. The slightly green-ish blacks are the one thing that

kept some of us from buying Pio. Compared to Panny glass panels (any maybe others), the

blacks on Pio panels have slight green tint. Try a backlight or raise the light level some

in your room. Hopefully, Jim Boden will see this post and may offer some suggestions.

He is the resident Pio "tweaker". Also, if there is no "secret" service menu on the Pio,

you have access to all controls the ISFer does. The calibrator will set things to 6500K or whatever

"K" you want, but you can still fool around and see if you can make the blacks (greys) display

without the tint.

The ISF price is in the ballpark from what I've seen and read.

larry

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My Pio 4300 SEEMS to have settings memory for EACH resolution on EACH input. So, for example, he may have to do those resolutions on BOTH Input 1 (DSUB) and 2 (BNC) component inputs. I could be wrong. Perhaps the component settings are shared between 1 and 2. Regardless, it seems like a lot of work, as he mentioned.

I THINK the green cast can be adjusted out with the low green in the service menu, but the ISF guy should confirm this, if that is your main concern, before he does the calibration.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Way too much. $250-$300 is more reasonable. Calibrating a Plasma is similar to a CRT.

Keep looking.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
How many inputs are being calibrated? To me, that is more important than calibrating a particular input for multiple resolutions...

Mark

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your inputs.

ROGO: I never thought of this before - so calibration needs to be done on each input? For instance, if I have STB on one input and DVD on another, both should be calibrated?

Klown - out

·
Registered
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Dirty Klown
Thanks all for your inputs.

ROGO: I never thought of this before - so calibration needs to be done on each input? For instance, if I have STB on one input and DVD on another, both should be calibrated?

Klown - out
Definitely.

The settings are independent for each input. I haven't had mine ISF'd but I have set them all with VE. Last night I used the VCR (which I almost never do) and it looked terrible - not just the resolution quality but the colors, black level, etc.. Apparently I skipped that input or was half blind at the time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My 5040 also has greenish tint ... ISF calibration due at end of Jan. Range seems to be 350 to 600 (!)

What were they thinking in Japan when they set factory GREEN levels on this otherwise magnificent TV? Why why why?

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Pioneer 4340 does not have an Integrator or service mode adjustment for performing Bias and Gain adjustments as the new Elite models do albeit now only in ISF C3 mode via rs-232 control. There is no C3 adjustment on any non Elite Plasma at this point in time. There are no RGB High and RGB Low adjustment in the user menu either for Video, only Computer inputs which will not work for a VESA video signal.

Any calibrator quoting a high price to adjust this set isn't a very credible or knowledgeable individual as all that can be performed is a simple Contrast, Brightness, Color and Tint adjustment from the user interface. There are a few other features such as 3:3 Pulldown, Digital Noise Reduction and other options to be selected but all of this will not take very long to perform.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ghibliss
The Pioneer 4340 does not have an Integrator or service mode adjustment for performing Bias and Gain adjustments as the new Elite models do albeit now only in ISF C3 mode via rs-232 control. There is no C3 adjustment on any non Elite Plasma at this point in time. There are no RGB High and RGB Low adjustment in the user menu either for Video, only Computer inputs which will not work for a VESA video signal.

Any calibrator quoting a high price to adjust this set isn't a very credible or knowledgeable individual as all that can be performed is a simple Contrast, Brightness, Color and Tint adjustment from the user interface. There are a few other features such as 3:3 Pulldown, Digital Noise Reduction and other options to be selected but all of this will not take very long to perform.
Excellent point

To add a bit, I was told today that Pioneer has not yet released the interface required to perform the ISF C3 service.

It is due out "anytime", Gregg from Lyon was expecting to pick his up this week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.