·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plotted 3 subs with winisd:

12" Dayton Ultimax ported box 20hz tune - yellow

15" Dayton ultimax 4cu ft sealed - red

18" SI HT 4cu ft sealed - purple

The 18" has a sharp spike of output from about 30hz on up and if I go with a 6 cu ft box it looks even better.

Does this chart look realistic? Is the output from the 18" that much more than the 15" in the same enclosure?

I have a huge room 13ft x 30 ft with 14ft ceilings about 5500 cu ft that is open to the kitchen with about another 3000 to 4000 cu ft.

I was planning on 4 ported 12" ultimax subs but based on this graph I think 2 18" SI will do the trick based on this graph if it is realistic.

Does anyone see anything wrong with it? I checked all the parameters and they seem right.

Based on my space and the graph which would be best? 2 x 18" SI sealed or 4 x 12" ported ultimax?

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,772 Posts
I'm hopeful that you'll get some more advice on this soon. The SI 18" plot looks way off, also the enclosure you are planning on for the SI18 is probably too small for that driver.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeman420  /t/1507305/does-this-look-right-help-with-winisd-graph#post_24110060

Does this chart look realistic? Is the output from the 18" that much more than the 15" in the same enclosure?
You've got bad data somewhere. You should show maximum output at 117dB with a 34Hz f3.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic  /t/1507305/does-this-look-right-help-with-winisd-graph#post_24110542

I'm hopeful that you'll get some more advice on this soon. The SI 18" plot looks way off, also the enclosure you are planning on for the SI18 is probably too small for that driver.
I figured 4 cu ft was a little small but that is the size of the flat packs that are made for this sub from diysoundgroup. Also Parts express has the same size box for the dayton 18" woofer.

I will start from scratch with winisd. Is there anyway to upload data into winisd? I am manually inputing the specs since the SI and Dayton arent in the existing list.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AHA! I figured it out. The speaker surface area was being measured in square meters instead of cm. That explains the huge spl LOL.

This one looks better.

Based on this data with my 5500 cubic ft room and open floor plan which should I go with? The 18" gains alot at 30hz and above but the ported 12" has a clear adge at 20hz and below. I am definitely on the fence between the two options. I do not want to build anything from scratch so the available flat packs are my only options.

Dual 18" sealed SI or dual or quad Dayton ultimax 12"?

BTW SI website says the recommended air space for the 18" is 4cu ft so the enclosure size is correct.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeman420  /t/1507305/does-this-look-right-help-with-winisd-graph#post_24111401

Dual 18" sealed SI or dual or quad Dayton ultimax 12"?
With a 30 foot room dimension cabin gain starts at 19Hz, which means you won't get any. I'd go vented.
Quote:
BTW SI website says the recommended air space for the 18" is 4cu ft so the enclosure size is correct.
It is if you're OK with Qtc of .82. For .7 you need 6.4 cu ft net, maybe 5 cu ft stuffed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The ported Ultimax box shown above look a little optimistic i my opinion. You didn't mention the tuning, but diysundgroup mention 20Hz and 3" ports. 110db @ 20Hz / 2x3" look like excessive port speed acording to UNIBOX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.