AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. so i've had my 42pwd7uy mounted on a wall for a while now. i recently moved to a new place and decided not to wall mount it and I went out and bought a used panasonic stand from a 50" which is supposed to be compatible with the 42". for the most part it is but not quite entirely. the plasma sits on the stand's spikes, but the spikes are too fat for plasma, thus it sits half way onto the spikes.

please review the pics, analyze and discuss.
does it look safe and sound?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Doesn't look paticularly sturdy to me, but you need to determine what forces are likely to act on the panel (ie: will a kid be bumping into the table, or a cat jumping up on it or...) & try to duplicate the force & see what it does. If the only forces that ever will act on it are purely vertical, then you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe /forum/post/0

The OP seems to be living in California, aka earthquake country. I would not sleep well knowking my plasma is not fully secured.

I'm totally agree with Stripe on this mounting issue. If the spikes do not fit snuggly into holes, the chance of it being knock off is pretty high. Plus I think the only things that are holding up the panel are the four screws on the brackets. Please find the right stand and be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooviedoovie /forum/post/0

Greetings. so i've had my 42pwd7uy mounted on a wall for a while now. i recently moved to a new place and decided not to wall mount it and I went out and bought a used panasonic stand from a 50" which is supposed to be compatible with the 42".

Compatible with the 42" Consumer Plasmas but NOT The Commercial Models.

Quote:
for the most part it is but not quite entirely. the plasma sits on the stand's spikes, but the spikes are too fat for plasma, thus it sits half way onto the spikes.

please review the pics, analyze and discuss.
does it look safe and sound?

As I've been saying, the Consumer Stands do fit the Commercial Models but the poles used on these stands are longer & thicker (to support the heavier weight of the Consumer Plasmas) so the Display can't sit all the way down plus you won't be able to secure attach the screws.

Check out the list of stands compatible with the Commercial Displays

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=22

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont think it will get knocked off unless it completely falls over. the poles are tapered and Mr. Bruzzi is saying that these stands have longer, thicker poles...so the cavity in the plasma must be filled. (or not).

i was wondering if the plasma and stand was designed so that the bottom lip of the plasma should be resting on the top of the stand?

well..hopefully the poles dont shear and break. ...day 2, still standing. is this a reasonable excuse to buy a new 50" with a proper stand?? ...nah

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooviedoovie /forum/post/0

Greetings. so i've had my 42pwd7uy mounted on a wall for a while now. i recently moved to a new place and decided not to wall mount it and I went out and bought a used panasonic stand from a 50" which is supposed to be compatible with the 42".

Boy i wish you had posted an iquiry or searched this forum before buying that stand, because it's been established a number of times that the all-silver duck-foot stands from the PX50/PX60 consumer series will NOT fit any of the Industrial models. I see these stands on EBay all the time and usually the seller claims it fits all Panasonic plasmas, but this is not the case.

You should try to find one of the rounded base stands from the older consumer models, or a current stand for the Industrial models. I would not use the stand you bought - it's not properly attached plain and simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.