AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about replacing my receiver with components. What do I need to replace a HT receiver?

I know I need a power amp, but what unit does all the source switching, signal processing, signal conditioning, etc normally handled by the receiver? The (piece of crap) receiver I have does all sorts of HDMI source switching, DVD upscaling, audio decoding,... What unit would replicate those functions as a stand-alone unit?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're describing separates, where you have a preamp/processor that feeds into a separate power amp.

Separates might make sense if you have $30K+ worth of speakers. Since you're here asking this question I'm not sure you need a high end pre/pro and amp. Perhaps you should upgrade to a quality receiver.

If you tell us what it is you don't like about your device, we might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My receiver is a SONY STR-DA5300ES. It is quirky, full of bugs, it barely functions in some very fundamental respects.

I have not read of a single receiver that does not have some pretty serious bugs. I'm looking for a SOLID solution, not a headache.

I do not have $30k invested, total, more like $5k.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/16997845

My receiver is a SONY STR-DA5300ES. It is quirky, full of bugs, it barely functions in some very fundamental respects.

I have not read of a single receiver that does not have some pretty serious bugs. I'm looking for a SOLID solution, not a headache.

And you think processors are less prone to quirks?

IMO, HDMI creates a lot of the quirks I have read about. The others seem to have resulted from the complexity of the modern AVR/processor. Once complexity goes past a certain point, perfection or even near perfection seems hard to obtain.

For example, my Tivo is one of the slickest CE devices I have ever seen. But HD show listings don't always show up - the exact same SD show does. This makes it hard to record events like the PGA Championship in HD.

Some receivers seem quite stable. I am quite happy with my Yamaha RX-V3900. It's only failing, assuming it's Yamaha's problem, is that Tivo's resolution resets on negotiation when it's connected through the 3900. There's a number of workarounds to this problem, though - or I can just live with 1080i output

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag /forum/post/16997845

If possible, could you elaborate on some of the debilitating bugs that hinder fundamental functionality?

I've been using an Onkyo 605 for over a year without any problems, and just today purchased its replacement after extensive research (Onkyo 707).

Like the previous poster pointed out, a lot of quirks can be attributed to HDMI/handshaking type issues. Half of the problem is user error, and the other half is HDMI's implementation itself.

The only problem I've experienced on a modern receiver was overheating/video distortion on a friend's Sony DG810. A fan has since been installed and the problems are gone. Perhaps the solution is to stay away from Sony receivers, which is never a bad idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts