AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimason /forum/post/0

Yep. I was hoping that this would come along soon. I'd prefer to use something that Sony puts out though as this possibly could have a boat load of spyware embedded.

im not to tech savy, so if you try this out and it works pls let me know. THX

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Tried it. Very nice. You can create playlists you have on your hard drive of the pc and access them from your PS3. Photos etc. the same principle works. Lot I have to explore. If you have a tuner on your pc you can watch tv as well on your ps3.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

Tried it. Very nice. You can create playlists you have on your hard drive of the pc and access them from your PS3. Photos etc. the same principle works. Lot I have to explore. If you have a tuner on your pc you can watch tv as well on your ps3.

is it pretty easy to figure out? also can you stream HD .ts files??

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed /forum/post/0

is it pretty easy to figure out? also can you stream HD .ts files??

I'd like to know the same thing. Are the files being sent to their server then to the PS3?

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans /forum/post/0

I'd like to know the same thing. Are the files being sent to their server then to the PS3?

Hi, what do you mean by ... are the files being sent to their server ??? Do you mean they will build up a server, which will get all streams and then push it back to you?

No definitly not. As you notice, if you read some specs, a normal SAT-TV SD stream takes a bandwidth of 4 to 6 Mbit/s. HD Video will take up to 15 Mbit/s. This is much more your upstream might be?

So everything the software does is:

1. Take the media from you PC and catalog ist.

2. perhaps reconvert it to a compatible streamformat for the destinationdevice

3. stream it to the destinationdevice PS3 here.

Thats it. So far as I have seen it, it is very simple to set up and use.

CU Protheus

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protheus /forum/post/0

Hi, what do you mean by ... are the files being sent to their server ??? Do you mean they will build up a server, which will get all streams and then push it back to you?

No definitly not. As you notice, if you read some specs, a normal SAT-TV SD stream takes a bandwidth of 4 to 6 Mbit/s. HD Video will take up to 15 Mbit/s. This is much more your upstream might be?

So everything the software does is:

1. Take the media from you PC and catalog ist.

2. perhaps reconvert it to a compatible streamformat for the destinationdevice

3. stream it to the destinationdevice PS3 here.

Thats it. So far as I have seen it, it is very simple to set up and use.

CU Protheus

Protheus, I agree the set up is very easy and it does a descent job with photo, music, however video not so much. It could be due that the I'm using the wireless on the PS3. I'm all set up on the codec front but wondering if you get better video performance.. Do you have both your PC and PS3 hardwired? As a first attempt I think it is a great start from ORB..

Thanks blazed for the heads up....

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimason /forum/post/0

Yep. I was hoping that this would come along soon. I'd prefer to use something that Sony puts out though as this possibly could have a boat load of spyware embedded.

According to the orb site no extra junk is installed when using this program. Mcafee and NAV may see it as a Trojan due to the way it works.. No problems on the PC so far after the install....

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMOTA /forum/post/0

Protheus, I agree the set up is very easy and it does a descent job with photo, music, however video not so much. It could be due that the I'm using the wireless on the PS3. I'm all set up on the codec front but wondering if you get better video performance.. Do you have both your PC and PS3 hardwired? As a first attempt I think it is a great start from ORB..

Thanks blazed for the heads up....

Sorry guys, but I have been using orb for a few months on laptops and cell phone, and everything goes through their server, is being re-encoded on the fly so that it can be served to all your devices (PDA, cell phone, PC, and now Wii and PS3). That is why you're experiencing poor video performance. Your streaming PC uploads (streams) to the Orb server, then your web browser downloads (streams) from the Orb server. So no you won't experience HD this way, as I doubt you have the bandwith in both upload and download speeds to allow it (assuming Orb can do it anyway, which is doubtful).

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Actually, it is the software side on your PC which is re-encoding the video, nothing goes to their servers. Their servers just initiate the connection.

Now, if you are on a hard-wired line, it shouldn't have to re-encode. I would be interested to see what it does under those conditions.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS /forum/post/0

Actually, it is the software side on your PC which is re-encoding the video, nothing goes to their servers. Their servers just initiate the connection.

Now, if you are on a hard-wired line, it shouldn't have to re-encode. I would be interested to see what it does under those conditions.

Then, if such is the case, can you explain why Orb, in doing a test to find out your upload and download speed everytime you change devices, shows you your current upload/download speeds to/from their servers ? Also, how do you explain that low bandwith streaming such as music works fine, but video is constantly re-buffering (I'm not even talking HD, just low bitrate Xvid), and that's on a wired gigabit lan...

Another thing that shouldn't impact Orb's performance if what you say is true : your internet connection speed. I used to have cable at 6 Mbps down/512 Kbps up, now I have DSL at 2.5 Mbps down/512 Kbps up, and on cable I was able to stream those same xvid files with few re-bufferings, but now on DSL it is constantly re-buffering...

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Read the FAQ on their site. It explains how to setup Orb so that it can just stream natively. However the only problem I see is that the PS3 browser will not go full-screen - thus limiting its uselfullness in HD.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Orb just uses your webrowser to watch streamed content to your PS3. Its an unnecessary and uninspiring solution to a problem that Sony should have provided an answer for. I was floored when I found out the PS3 had such limited media support, but I expect sooner or later someone will figure out a way to stream through the network to the PS3. A solution much better than what we have here with Orb.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.