AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Has anyone noticed that certain speakers (I'm talking about small speakers, not subwoofers) -- when you get a certain distance away, will give you a bass vibration you can actually feel?

When you're close to the speaker, you don't notice it. But once you get a few yards away, you really feel the bass? Even if the volume is turned down low?

Is there a name for this? An article about it somewhere?

I'm trying to argue my point at work, concerning some coworker's music.

Not that it's too loud, but that the bass really punches me from where I am sitting.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm thinking "natural frequency" for some reason.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Max... question for you.. are you the max cooper from RX7 forum fame ?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/19617246

"Room modes" -- bass response is pretty uneven in most rooms, so even if the speaker has a flat frequency response, the response at various points in a room will be very different. :)

-Max

Leave it to an RX-7 owner to know the answer ...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/19617446

Leave it to an RX-7 owner to know the answer ...

your name sound familar too.. with the location anyways... I'm Johnny.. one of the original mods on the RX7 forum back in it's hey day.. Yes and I still have my FD3S.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilbank /forum/post/19616773

Hi.

Has anyone noticed that certain speakers (I'm talking about small speakers, not subwoofers) -- when you get a certain distance away, will give you a bass vibration you can actually feel?

When you're close to the speaker, you don't notice it. But once you get a few yards away, you really feel the bass? Even if the volume is turned down low?

Is there a name for this? An article about it somewhere?

I'm trying to argue my point at work, concerning some coworker's music.

Not that it's too loud, but that the bass really punches me from where I am sitting.

Thanks

Standing Waves

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
BTW I had the same issue with one of my coworkers. He had small PC speakers with a sub. From where I sit it was very annoying. It is not small speakers or large speakers. It is the characteristics of sound waves.

At certain places in a room, the sound waves (typically low frequencies) add up to cause an increase in amplitude. Where as at some places they cancel each other to cause significant reduction in amplitude. The wavelength of high frequency sound is not large enough to cause this.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi /forum/post/0

your name sound familar too.. with the location anyways... I'm Johnny.. one of the original mods on the RX7 forum back in it's hey day.. Yes and I still have my FD3S.

Hehe. Hi Johnny, yes TurboFC3S and I are RX-7 dudes, too.
I sold my FD in 2009, though.

-Max

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
Hehe. Hi Johnny, yes TurboFC3S and I are RX-7 dudes, too.
I sold my FD in 2009, though.

-Max

cool small world..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx. But those low freq wavelengths are pretty long, I believe.

Can't get out of the node by moving my chair a few feet, I fear.

Hoping a rubber mat hung as a buffer will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
You need bass traps in your corners to reduce that effect. Don't know why you'd want to. It's like getting a massage w/out the expensive chair!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts