AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother wants bedroom speakers that she can plug in her USB thumb stick and listen to music with. She also wants a remote so she can change volume and tracks lying in bed.

Does such a product exist? Looking to spend

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Does she have a Smart Phone? Finding speaker at an affordable price that have USB is going to be difficult, and other than using a Smart Phone, you will have a hard time finding a Remote Control sufficient to control and select music.

However, these Speakers have Optical and AUX inputs plus Bluetooth Streaming with Remote Select/Volume Control, and are pretty decent speakers for the money -

Edifier R2000DB - $250/pr -

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000DB-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B01CDU3IAI

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R2000DB-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016PAWJYS

Though others may make recommendations, I think it will be hard to beat this.

In this case, she would play music stored on her Smart Phone, and Bluetooth Stream it from the Phone to the Speakers. I also suspect she could stream from Services like Spotify, as long as she was connect to her Home Network. If she streams using her Cell Service rather than her Home Network, she will blow through her allotted Cell Data Bandwidth pretty quickly.

Of the top of my head, I can't think of anything else even close for your budget. Now Double the Budget and we have some options.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
My mother wants bedroom speakers that she can plug in her USB thumb stick and listen to music with. She also wants a remote so she can change volume and tracks lying in bed.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Lepai makes one with a remote too -- https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-269fs-4x45w-mini-amplifier-with-remote-usb-mp3-media-card-fm-and-bluetooth-antenna--310-304

An amp like this or one of the models mentioned above probably is the easiest way to go, then just add whatever passive speakers you want. And ideally some sort of cheap sub.

As for powered speakers, the Qacoustics BT3 could work at $300. Or Dayton -- https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402bt-powered-bluetooth-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair-with-35mm-aux-in--300-458

Still need one of thingies above for the usb/flash drive.

·
Registered
28,462 Posts

·
Registered
17,046 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
parts express has the dayton audio Hi fly devices:WFA28 and the WF40A each one has a USB input as well as an 3.5MM aux in and remotes! pair the WFA28 with a set of powered speakers or the WF40A with passive speakers (you''ll be suprised what 20WPC can drive!)
I really like this option right here actually. Saves me the trouble of finding an all-in-one solution and just lets me use whatever speaker I buy.

Thanks to all the responses!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Reactions: goldark

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: So I purchased the WF40A mentioned above and used an old pair of Cambridge S30's I had.

It sounded pretty good, however I am returning it for a couple of reasons.

1) Every time you turn it on, it takes about 10-15 seconds to try to connect to your WIFI before handing control back to you.
2) USB is the default source so it starts playing right away. If you switch to another source, however, like WIFI or Line In, there's no way to switch back to USB unless you turn it off and on again (and then wait until it connects to WIFI)
3) The lowest volume is still too loud for her for quiet bedroom listening to fall asleep to. It goes from mute to the next step up, which is louder than she would've liked.

Having said that, I'm looking for something just like it without those issues. There is a Lepai amp that @doe_Doe mentioned.

Are there any other options for integrated amps with USB input and remote?

I know most AVR's can do this, but one would be way too big for my purposes.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
UPDATE: So I purchased the WF40A mentioned above and used an old pair of Cambridge S30's I had.

It sounded pretty good, however I am returning it for a couple of reasons.

1) Every time you turn it on, it takes about 10-15 seconds to try to connect to your WIFI before handing control back to you.
2) USB is the default source so it starts playing right away. If you switch to another source, however, like WIFI or Line In, there's no way to switch back to USB unless you turn it off and on again (and then wait until it connects to WIFI)
3) The lowest volume is still too loud for her for quiet bedroom listening to fall asleep to. It goes from mute to the next step up, which is louder than she would've liked.

Having said that, I'm looking for something just like it without those issues. There is a Lepai amp that @doe_Doe mentioned.

Are there any other options for integrated amps with USB input and remote?

I know most AVR's can do this, but one would be way too big for my purposes.

Thanks again!
bummer. thanks for the update. check out the Klipsch powergate: https://www.klipsch.com/products/powergate

·
Registered
19,314 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
another one to check out is the cocktail audio x10 or x12 - slightly over budget, but feature rich

·
Registered
17,046 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Something I forgot to ask... how many songs does she have on that usb stick?

I mean, could she simply get them from amazon prime music, or someplace like that? Just wondering if a streaming alternative exists, and perhaps she already has it.

If so, then just get an Echo or something like that, pair it up w/ powered speakers via bluetooth if need be, and done. That's what my Mom does, she has an echo and just tells Alexa to play '50's songs' that type of thing.

Another alternative that she potentially could have already is a roku. If she has a bedroom TV + Roku, just plug the usb stick into the Roku and play via the media channel. Again, add speakers to TV if needed.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yeah trust me, I've tried a number of streaming/wireless options and she's adament about just using music on her USB drive - she's stuck in her ways and I'm not going to change it at this point :)

I settled for another SMSL product. Should get here in a couple of days. Will update on how it works: https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-50-PLUS-Amplifier-TAS5766M/dp/B06XYKNRXJ
how is your SMSL working? I found another that seems to hit all the marks: https://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/nero-xd.html

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts