AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a HT setup that is pretty much going to look like the picture in this link (sorry not my picture so I don't want to steal it and paste it in here).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16908494

I am looking at getting the Axiom M80 speakers that are done both rear-ported and front-ported. My two questions are the following:

1) Does this setup create a "cabinet" environment for the speakers and I will benefit of a front-ported speaker? The speaker will be approximately 1 - 1 1/2ft from the back wall

2) Does it matter for the Center Channel? Also if I build something to set the Center higher up (like 20 inches up) are there any posts in regards to how to build something (couldn't find anything). I am guessing that I don't want it to sit on top of an empty box, but is putting the Center on beams enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I'm guessing you're going to run speaker grill fabric over the skeleton frame? If you are then the front or rear ported should make little or no difference. Just imagine if the speakers are sitting on stands with no frame or grill fabric. That's what they should sound like. The grill fabric is for the most part acoustically transparent. As long as you use proper speaker placement you will be fine with whatever speaker you decide on.

As for your 2nd question, a standard speaker stand to the height you want will work. You can build this very cheaply. I did a thread a couple weeks ago showing my build and you could adjust it for your center channel. You wouldn't have to paint or finish it anyway, being it will be behind all that. Here's the link ------>> LINK LINK LINK.

You just need some cheap plywood and some 2x4's and t-brace the 2x4's for the legs of the stands. If you want to go more detailed and sturdy you can make an open square out of 4-2x4's and fill it with sand to make sure it won't get knocked over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts