AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently finishing my home theater room and will be starting construction on it next week in our basement. I’ve been looking into affordable yet quailty home theater systems and have created what I think is decent, based on my budget and what I’ve been able to find online and through forums. I will readily admit that I am largely inept at the whole AV world so please feel free to offer advice.

Here is what I am currently planning on getting.

Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, that features 9.2 channel capability, 125 wpc, Audyssey for test tone generator calibration, pre-outs for possibly adding a 220w or so amp for extra speakers and providing sufficient power, Atmos/DTS:X capable, 4K upscaling, Bluetooth capable, etc. Alexa compatible is nice but not necessary.

Klipsch 7.1 RP-250 Reference Premiere speakers with R-110SW sub. I will also be adding height ceiling Atmos speakers, Klipsch CDT-5650-C II, either 2 or 4 speakers, and an additional and larger sub, Klipsch R-124W 400 watts. I’m planning on a 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 configuration.

Does this look reasonable and like it would work well together? Am I missing anything or is there something better in the same price range that I should consider?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like it may need some help after asking around such as wide dispersion for the sides and directional dispersion for the rears, and to keep the subs the same. So this is the updated plan:

I could only find individual pieces and not a “set” that matched what I was looking for so not sure if there’s something better for similar price. How does this look:

Klipsch 2x RP-280F rear floor standing, 4x RP-240s for the sides and wide dispersion, 1x RP-450C center channel, 2x R-110sw subs. Will run me a little over 3k just for that, which is my upper limit. Same receiver as posted above.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the great input guys! Keep it up!

Here’s the newest layout. Looks better but the cost is giving me heart palpitations lol!

Fronts RP-280F X2
Center RP-450C X1
Sides RP-250s X2
Rears RP-160m X2
Sub R-110sw X2 Do I need two?
Ceiling CDT-5650-C II X2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa slow down there guys! This is like information overall with all you guys clamoring over each other to respond! This is still a forum right?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
get big subs for home theater...15in +

·
Registered
657 Posts
It's kind of a vague question that you're asking. Generally speaking most AVRs at the a given price point will have similar performance. Most amps will be able to drive most non-boutique speakers just fine. For more substantive responses on AVRs ask in the AVR forum.

If budget is limited you can often get more bang for your buck from Internet direct brands like HSU or SVS than from a big box store brand like Klipsch. Again, you'll find more people interested in talking about that in the Speakers forum.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the responses. I just like to know if I’m on the right path with a good set up selected since I don’t have much experience with this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m in a similar situation - building a media center - although I’m going with in wall speakers (wife’s requirement).

I purchased the denon x4400h instead of the marantz - with both on sale it was $300 cheaper - and they are very similar (same parent company). Neither of these will support 7.2.4 (both will support 7.2.2 or 5.2.4).

There is a thread that compares the two - https://www.avforums.com/threads/marantz-7012-vs-denon-4400.2153681/

FWIW - I’m going 5.2.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
26,161 Posts
Whoa slow down there guys! This is like information overall with all you guys clamoring over each other to respond! This is still a forum right?
3 suggestions:

Post separate threads for each sub-audio topic:

1) Speakers

2) Recevier

3) Subwoofer

We have separate forums for each of these topics.

Speaker forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Receiver forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/

Subwoofer forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/

You are posting in the forum for "accessories" like theater seats, posters, movie props etc. This area of AVS gets very little traffic. Where are audio forums get the heaviest traffic on the site.

Third suggestion is leave the snark for reddit. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m in a similar situation - building a media center - although I’m going with in wall speakers (wife’s requirement).

I purchased the denon x4400h instead of the marantz - with both on sale it was $300 cheaper - and they are very similar (same parent company). Neither of these will support 7.2.4 (both will support 7.2.2 or 5.2.4).

There is a thread that compares the two - https://www.avforums.com/threads/marantz-7012-vs-denon-4400.2153681/

FWIW - I’m going 5.2.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes good choice. I’m likely going to go 7.2.2. Completely underderstand on the wife requirements. Gotta keep the peace lol!

3 suggestions:

Post separate threads for each sub-audio topic:

1) Speakers

2) Recevier

3) Subwoofer

We have separate forums for each of these topics.

Speaker forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

Receiver forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/

Subwoofer forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/

You are posting in the forum for "accessories" like theater seats, posters, movie props etc. This area of AVS gets very little traffic. Where are audio forums get the heaviest traffic on the site.

Third suggestion is leave the snark for reddit. ;)
That’s a helpful post with direction, thank you. But snark was due with the dead thread and had to amuse myself somehow! Is it common to separate sub and speakers into different categories when both are speakers? Just curious.

·
26,161 Posts
Yes good choice. I’m likely going to go 7.2.2. Completely underderstand on the wife requirements. Gotta keep the peace lol!

That’s a helpful post with direction, thank you. But snark was due with the dead thread and had to amuse myself somehow! Is it common to separate sub and speakers into different categories when both are speakers? Just curious.
Yes, its common to separate the two....spend time in both forums and you'll see those that spend day in and day out in the sub forum are a rare breed. They are focused on sub performance, it's a hobby in and of itself.

The reason you didn't get any activity in your thread: 1) You were posting in the wrong forum to discuss subs, receivers and speakers 2) The accessories forum has limited activity.

Though no one is guaranteed responses to their questions, the number of visitors in the audio forums is huge...so your best chance at getting answers is to post separate threads in the respective forum (ie subwoofer) AND use the search engine for existing threads on the speakers, subs and receivers your are researching. Typically there are owner's threads for each separate model of receiver, speaker lines, as well as subwoofer lines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I basically have the setup you mention here, with a few changes/additions.

Subs: 2 SVS PB-4000
Ceiling: 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C ii
Receiver: Denon x4300h & Parasound A21

I think you will be pleased with your speaker choices, my ceiling speakers are in the middle of install as we speak, but I have had the others setup for a while and it they sound great.

I added the Parasound (have it powering the fr and fl speakers) as the Denon 4300 can process 7.2.4, but needs an additional amp to power 2 of those channels.

Of course a lot depends on your room design, ceiling height, etc... as well as your personal taste of speakers....

I started with one PB4000 and quickly moved to 2.....it might be wise to just order one and see how you feel with it, you can always add a second down the line or when additional money is available.

I haven’t heard the R-110sw, so I can’t really comment on it.

Just remember buy decent stuff once...it is cheaper than continuously upgrading....took me a while to learn that....

I will send you a PM of a seller I use, his prices can’t be beat.

I love the great input guys! Keep it up!

Here’s the newest layout. Looks better but the cost is giving me heart palpitations lol!

Fronts RP-280F X2

Center RP-450C X1

Sides RP-250s X2

Rears RP-160m X2

Sub R-110sw X2 Do I need two?

Ceiling CDT-5650-C II X2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I basically have the setup you mention here, with a few changes/additions.

Subs: 2 SVS PB-4000
Ceiling: 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C ii
Receiver: Denon x4300h & Parasound A21

I think you will be pleased with your speaker choices, my ceiling speakers are in the middle of install as we speak, but I have had the others setup for a while and it they sound great.

I added the Parasound (have it powering the fr and fl speakers) as the Denon 4300 can process 7.2.4, but needs an additional amp to power 2 of those channels.

Of course a lot depends on your room design, ceiling height, etc... as well as your personal taste of speakers....

I started with one PB4000 and quickly moved to 2.....it might be wise to just order one and see how you feel with it, you can always add a second down the line or when additional money is available.

I haven’t heard the R-110sw, so I can’t really comment on it.

Just remember buy decent stuff once...it is cheaper than continuously upgrading....took me a while to learn that....

I will send you a PM of a seller I use, his prices can’t be beat.
Thanks for the info! I have a home theater guy custom building it out right now. I’m torn on the speakers though. He’s adamant that Episode speakers are far better. They seem to have good reviews, especially their 900 series. However the price is also far more too and I’m not sure how much of an upgrad that would be?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have a home theater guy custom building it out right now. I’m torn on the speakers though. He’s adamant that Episode speakers are far better. They seem to have good reviews, especially their 900 series. However the price is also far more too and I’m not sure how much of an upgrad that would be?

Wish I could help, I don’t know anything about Episode speakers.

Did you get my PM?

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,832 Posts
Your custom installer has a financial incentive to sell you Episodes versus you shopping around for the best deal on the Klipsh. Unless he is offering them to you at his cost.

On another note there is no reason that the subwoofer brand needs to match the main speakers unless you get a package deal pricing. Go for the best of each class.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wish I could help, I don’t know anything about Episode speakers.

Did you get my PM?
Yes I did thank you! Problem is that I can’t PM you back yet until I hit the required post count minimum.

Your custom installer has a financial incentive to sell you Episodes versus you shopping around for the best deal on the Klipsh. Unless he is offering them to you at his cost.

On another note there is no reason that the subwoofer brand needs to match the main speakers unless you get a package deal pricing. Go for the best of each class.
Thanks, I do understand that there may be financial motive and bias involved. The problem is more my limited experience and exposure with everything AV related. This is my first home theater and I would like to do it right the first time but as far as speakers, it seems everybody has a different opinion on which is best to go with so that makes it even harder for me to judge effectively. I don’t like the overall price of the Episodes but I did have him come down on price. Having them dealer only prices makes it difficulty for me to gauge what a good price range is and overall value.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts