AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my home theater and a switcher like the following would make life a lot easier.

I'm looking for one that offers at least 3 component inputs and one DVI.

Does such an animal exist? Do any companies custom make their switchers?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
KDS Flash 4: 4 inputs of VGA RGBHB, Component, S video or Composite ( connecting composite and S-video is done using the P and Pr connections). This has only one output so it may not work for you. You might use the KDS KD-MSW 8x3. This has 8 RGBHV inputs and 3 RGBHV outputs Here you will need a RGBHV to DVI adaptor on one input and output. But you will be able to send component to the display's component input, DVI to the DVI input and either Composite or S-video to the video input. The MSW has a lot of flexibility but as you have only one DVI input why not send it directly to the display device?

Alan

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm as naive as they come on AVS forum even after being in here for over three years. More of a fan than a fanatic I guess.

Here is my situation in more detail. Connected to my PT L300u projector I want both X-Box and Comcast HD cable via component and the Bravo D1 DVD player via DVI.

My biggest worry isn't the video it is actually the audio. I have a cheap Sony receiver with only one optical output (input, output, I get confused).

If that optical cable is going into my switcher and not the D1 how can I get 5.1 without manually switching the wire every time I use the DVD player?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The KDS switcher I suggested above can also switch digital audio. Not unusual actually for switchers to do this. So you can route your video and digital audio signals via the switcher. Only problem is that these switchers want to see SPDIF ( RCA connector ) not Toslink ( optical ). So if you only have a Toslink input on your SONY receiver then it would be cheaper to upgrade your receiver then to worry about digital converter boxes, a/b switches or matrix switchers. Any of these would solve your issues.

Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.