AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into getting a new audio receiver, and I notice that some receivers come with THX Select and some don't.

I'm looking at the Yamaha 2400, Onkyo 901 and Pioneer 53TX which do have THX, but it looks like the upcoming Denon 3805 doesn't have THX.

I'm really interested in the Denon's 3805 features, but does the lack of THX certification really matter in general?

·
Registered
186 Posts
From what I'm reading THX certification is dying in importance.

Buy based on features, sound quality, expected reliablity.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
some manufacturers stopped submitting their gear to get thx certification

this can save paying royalties so the products can be sold cheaper

it does not mean the sound quality is inferior

dont think hi end products have to prove to the public with a thx logo

·
Registered
54 Posts
THX doesn't seem to publish the specs. that they "certify" to.

I wonder why? Could it be smoke'n'mirrors? Maybe I'm just cynical.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
I wonder why? Could it be smoke'n'mirrors?
Or maybe it is proprietary information that is not considered for public consumption. Manufacturers are given the specs for whatever sort of product they are designing and intending to submit for certification. I would assume there is a non-disclosure agreement involved. It is then the responsibility of the manufacturer to educate the dealer selling their products on whatever benefits the THX certification of a given product means to the consumer.

To the question posed by the original poster, my opinion is that THX does matter in the context of home theater. The majority of home audio system will benefit from at least some of the THX post processing at least some of the time when playing film soundtracks. That is about as generalized as I can get.

This is not to say THX is a necessity. There are many well designed, fine sounding products that are not THX certified, particularly products like power amps, interconnects, and speakers. I am not one that believes every component should be a THX certified product, even if one is trying to build a complete THX system. However, the most important piece of gear where THX is involved is the controller, or in this case, receiver. That is where the processing takes place and it will be virtually impossible to achieve the sort of film sound the THX philosophy ascribes to without the processing found in a THX certified receiver/controller.

There are circumstances where one may not want to use THX processing, or even all the features of THX processing. That is why a receiver/controller will be disigned to allow the user to turn THX on or off, and in most cases, one can turn on or off just part of the processing suite. What one must consider when buying a reciever that does may or may not have THX processing is whether or not it is a feature one will use and that will require some research and education on the part of the buyer. You have to find out what THX processing will do and how it will affect your system. Then you can decide if it is a feature you want.

My philosphy is, it is better to have THX and not need it than to want it and not have it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert George
My philosphy is, it is better to have THX and not need it than to want it and not have it.
Agreed! My last receiver was not THX certified and DVD movies would take my head clean off at theatre type levels. Now that I have THX, turning it on significantly sweetens the mix and makes the whole thing much more listenable (especially at loud levels).

While I am sure you could acheive a similar result with manual EQ and compression, its much simpler to just hit the button on the remote.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Logitech Z-680 computer speakers have THX certification, along with many other very inexpensive components, so I doubt anything in the hi-fi world could not, as I doubt anything in the hi-fi world that is three times the price(as stuff in the hi-fi world usually is :D), sounds _worse_ than these THX certified products. I don't look at it at all, since such things as THX are usually gimmics to sell products.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Thasp:

You have what I consider the average consumer's understanding of what THX is and what it means, which is to say, almost complete misunderstanding (this due to an almost complete lack of understanding of THX by most of the sales drones that now sell these products).

THX certification is not based on how much a component costs or is a marketing gimmick to sell more units. Some companies may look at THX as a marketing tool, but certainly THX does not and their certification process is just as rigorous no matter what company is the licensee or what that company's marketing philosphy is.

To say that just because some model of Logitech computer speakers are THX certified that almost anything else that is more expensive can be is simply untrue. THX does not have a single "spec" for certification. There is a THX spec for each type of product category THX certifies. THX certified conputer speakers would only properly be compared to other computer speakers, and even then, with some knowledge of what THX is certifing in such a product. I happen to use the Klipsch THX computer speakers with my PC. Is it simply coincidence these were the best sounding computer speakers I could find when I was looking for something a little nicer for my PC? I doubt it. Are there other non-THX computer speakersw that sound just as good. I guess so, but I personally haven't heard any.

As was stated previously in this thread, THX should not be considered the end-all, be-all of audio and video. There are many fine products that are not THX-certified, and in many cases could not be. Another example is the speakers I use in my main system (B&W Nautilus 804 and HTM1). These speakers are not THX-certified and could not be even if they were submitted. They do not have the dispersion characteristics required by the THX spec for home theater speakers. That isn't what I bought them for, even though they are being driven by a THX Ultra controller and powered by a THX Ultra amp.

However, the basic philosphy of THX certification is that if one were to assemble a system using all THX certified components, it would all work together properly to produce what THX defines as accurate film soundtrack reproduction, even if the various components were of different brands.

That is hardly a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh ya, I forgot about the speakers having to be THX certified as well in order to have the total THX experience.

Basically, I guess I'll have to revise my original question, does a THX feature matter in an audio receiver if you have speakers that aren't THX certified?

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Quote:
...does a THX feature matter in an audio receiver if you have speakers that aren't THX certified?
I'll go into a bit more detail from my post above to give you my anser to this question....

My controller is an Anthem AVM20 (THX Ultra)

The amp for my front speakers is (at this moment) a Rotel RMB-1075 (THX Ultra)

The amp for my side and back surrounds is Citation 5.1 (not THX, but the Citation 7.1 is)

My front speakers are B&W 804s and HTM1 center (not THX)

My surrounds are B&W VM1 on the side and LM1 on the back (not THX and not dipole)

My subs are a modified SVS Ultra and a custom IB powered by a Sumo Andromeda IIb amp (not anywhere near THX certified, and not even original SVS)

All interconnects are BetterCables (not THX)

All that said, the most satisfying mode for listing to 5.1 soundtracks is THX Ultra 2. For EX soundtracks, I use THX EX.

I would not give up THX processing for my system. I consider it a basic requirement. Even without all components THX certifed.

·
Registered
30,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkFudge
Robert...did you goto Midwood HS in Brooklyn, NY and graduate in 1985?
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert George
Fudge, I've never been to NY, and you missed my age by 10 years. :)
10 years? So Robert, you graduated high school in 1995?

Sanjay

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pipman2k
...does the lack of THX certification really matter in general?
No.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Sanjay, 10 years the other way.

What? Do you think I painted in all that gray?

Dan:

Your answer implies this is that simple a question. It isn't. Maybe to you, but not to most people setting up a home theater system.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkFudge
Robert...did you goto Midwood HS in Brooklyn, NY and graduate in 1985?

If not you.......did anyone else?
My brother went to Midwood HS for a year- transfered out though.:D I went across from Midwood football field (ER. Murrow class of '90).:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
THX is nothing but a lot of talk and a badge. There are plenty of great components out there with THX certification, and plenty that do not have THX certification. My take is that you should make your selection based on a number of variables, with THX certification being at the bottom of the list. You can tell if it is a good component by looking at the specs on the product, educating yourself on those specs, and comparing to other products. Also, look at the reputation of the manufacturer. Are they known for having a lot of problems in the marketplace? Look at independent testing results in publications and online articles. Look at the features you want out of that product, and determine if that product meets your needs. Do not buy based upon THX certification. The Panasonic RP-82 does not have THX certification, yet it is one of the best DVD players that has been produced. The Marantz SR7400 is an outstanding receiver at the $1K price point. It doesn't have THX certification, yet it will run fine with other receivers at that price. And, no, I do not have a 7400. I have an Elite 45TX, which does have THX certification, but that made no difference in my selection at all...NONE.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the THX logo on the front does give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside though. besides that it dosent matter, besides the fact its certified to play loud in a big room and you will have less sound fromthe surrounds since they want you focused at the screen.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.