AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been converting Xvid files to mpeg2 then to DVD and burning them for the cottage DVD player.

What's remarkable is that starting from a 350mb compressed file it ends up as a 1 Gigabyte DVD file.

I've also resized with ffdshow on my HTPC, Xvid files and get a very decent picture on the big screen.

My question is in the big picture aren't we better served by better compressed files and resize apps than this market obsession with bigger is better and having to upgrade to whatever the next tier of storage criteria is to be set at, hense my reluctance to upgrade any gear at this time.

Can we not have a revolt that smaller video files are better for everyone and not let the developers set that next benchmark level?

·
Registered
913 Posts
you can get a 250 gig drive for $80.00 U.S. if your diligent.....who cares about compression, give me picture quality.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Fleet
Can we not have a revolt that smaller video files are better for everyone and not let the developers set that next benchmark level?
What are you talking about? That makes no sense, the entire computer/CE industry is moving to more effective codecs (H.265, VC-9 specifically) that fit the same content in less space, not the other way around.

The need to upgrade, to increase storage capacity is twofold, we're collecting MORE content (not bigger content), and we'er collecting BETTER conent (which takes more space).

HD-DVD and Bluray will both use VC-9 and/or H.264 (in addition to MPEG-2), these formats will allow for better PQ than OTA HD at similar bitrates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.